Setting loft on a re-knot

Sooo, my parents have got me an old used brush which I am picking up next week when I go and vist them (along with what I think from the pics I got is a fat handled tech). They came from the husband (dead many years) of the woman my mum used to clean for as when she died no one in her family wanted them. Now I have not got any pics of the brush but I am thinking of using it to try doing a re-knot with a silver tip (any one know of a good UK supplier or is it golden nib only?). Now, my question is, to set the loft of the brush do you just sink the knot deeper into the handle? Or does it involve cutting? My plan is to cut the bristles off and then drill out the handle with small holes and pliers, does this seem like a good way of doing it? Cheers, Ed

monkeytennis said:
Sooo, my parents have got me an old used brush which I am picking up next week when I go and vist them (along with what I think from the pics I got is a fat handled tech). They came from the husband (dead many years) of the woman my mum used to clean for as when she died no one in her family wanted them. Now I have not got any pics of the brush but I am thinking of using it to try doing a re-knot with a silver tip (any one know of a good UK supplier or is it golden nib only?). Now, my question is, to set the loft of the brush do you just sink the knot deeper into the handle? Or does it involve cutting? My plan is to cut the bristles off and then drill out the handle with small holes and pliers, does this seem like a good way of doing it? Cheers, Ed

1. measure the size of the knot at its base
2. cut off all the hairs
3. drill out using a forstner bit of that size
4. clean up the sides of the hole with a pen knife or similar

To set a new knot deeper you will need to drill out deeper with the forstner bit, but it is a sod to hold the handle without damaging it.

Drop me a line if you want a silvertip knot. I may have one to suit the size you want.

Cheers
Rod

monkeytennis said:
I shall do. Will be getting my hands on it early next week. So I was right about loft just being how deep you set the knot?

Essentially, yes. Some knots come with a lower loft than others though. But most of the knots that you can buy come with quite a tall natural loft 55mm plus.

Rod

Back
Top Bottom