Semogue 2000

well mine has lost it's funky smell at last (took a while though)

and is the best performing boar brush i've tried so far :cool:
miles above a Vulfix

i've been using it in tandem with it's wee brother the 1520, which is totally different.

my conclusions thus far are that a boar brush should be of the bigger knot higher loft variety.
i was considering getting a 1305 as well but after using the 1520 i'm not so sure now :?
it's a wee lather hog :lol:

Omega 49 en-route :roll: purely for comparrison ;) this will let me see the difference in the hair quality between them.

all this to provide you lot with consumer advice :hungrig

not really Jim no, but because of the smell i hand lathered with it about 4 times and gave it various soakings in Borax and a Proraso pre-post diluted mugs.

it got a good going over with the hand lathering but it probably isn't properly broken in yet, it does hog lather a little bit so if your comparing it to another boar brush you've tried that isn't as dense or has a lesser quality hair then the lather won't flow from the brush to your face as well.

your brush looks fine from the pictures though

Well my Smoggy 2000 has got me well and truly beat. I've been hammering this brush 7 days a week for about 3 months now and it's still in one piece, bar the handle shedding a bit of varnish. It just doesn't give in. The thing just keeps on producing the goods and it seems the more you hammer it the better it is. I've been building the lather up in the bowl by using the brush in a sort of potato masher motion! Just plunge the thing , with a twisting motion into the cream/soap at the bottom of the bowl, then whipping it up a bit, and it produces gobs of thick lather. Much more than I need for three passes. Yes it's ugly, yes it really stinks at first and yes it's cheap [well was] but other than whipping my shaving cream or soap up in a Kenwood I don't think I'll be able to find another bundle of hair on a stick to work as hard as this one.

slimjim5751 said:
Well gents i have given this brush all the time in the world to prove its self, I have tried it on a load of products both soap and cream, and what i have found that it is bloody hard work trying to get a good lather out of this brush on the soaps and creams this forum seem to use.

That is Mitchell's, Palmolive, Erasmic, TOC aromatherapy and so on, And as for creams it just seems to flatten them, i have tried TOBS, DR Harris, Connaught, Palmolive, Proraso.

As for technique I have tried soaking the brush first then taking about 90% of the water out of the brush, I have tried just wetting the tips, Putting the cream in the centre of the bloom, but to no avail, i am at a loss with this brush it is the first brush i have not been able to use, maybe its me i dont know.

Oh by the way the wet dog smell with the brush hasn't faded much.

I think i will put this down to experience and stick to badger witch perform consistently.

In order to improve the performance of your S2000's I suspect that you should add more cream/soap, water or boths. You have to know the S2000 eat a lot of product and water when is new. Try it and you'll have very good results. For me the S2000 is a amazing leather machine wen the bristles are broken, and is very soft doing circular or painting motions.

I have the S2000 since september 2009 and for me it's the best board hair brush I've ever tasted. For comparing I own a Semogue Limited Edition 09 and a Semogue 830 too, but I prefer my Semogue 2000 for the moment (the 830 is going up in my ranking).

Remember, more cream/soap or more water or maybe both. Good luck in your fight against your S2000, be patient and you'll enjoy a very good shaving tool. I hope it helps. ;)

Having tried and used over 50 popular brushes to enable me to publish my shaving brush blog, I really think that if it takes a lot of time for you to love a brush, it really wasn't the right choice for you. We have all developed our own way of doing things and we also have variations in water softness and other factors that influence the way that a brush works for us. I really think that long term it's worth buying different types of brush to find the one that suits. At the very least, try boar by all means but also try a badger even if you don't want to stretch to the higher end of the price range. Once you find a brush you are delighted with you will know it was worth the effort.

I agree Fido. I have three boar brushes and other three with badger hair and I love alls. I'm not a board or badger taliban, be sure of that; my main objective is to enjoy all my shaves. One more data: In my area the water is very hard but is possible to have a really good leather using badger or board brushes.

I only was talking about my own way to lathering well and I had shared it for help with the best of intentions. I hope it didn't sound like a disrespectful comment (my english is not so good).

Slow Shaving said:
I agree Fido. I have three boar brushes and other three with badger hair and I love alls. I'm not a board or badger taliban, be sure of that; my main objective is to enjoy all my shaves. One more data: In my area the water is very hard but is possible to have a really good leather using badger or board brushes.

I only was talking about my own way to lathering well and I had shared it for help with the best of intentions. I hope it didn't sound like a disrespectful comment (my english is not so good).

There is nothing disrespectful in what you said Slow. You were offering your findings on that brush in its review thread.

I like it, it gives good lather for me (soft water) and plenty of it too :shave . I usually use it when I shave both face and head and it´s good for two passes on each, I prob. could streatch it to three on the face. I like to scrub it into my chins, nice feeling :roll: , but it preformes best when painted with. For me.

Back
Top Bottom