Semogue 1305

I have had this brush for approx 5 weeks. It is well and truly broken in now and makes lather out of soap like it is possessed. The knot 22mm & loft 55mm are not too big nor too small. I am becoming fully converted to boar brushes; they are excellent value for money, lather equally well with creams and soaps.

Fozz

Nice review, about time someone wrote one about this much-discussed brush. I've just lent mine to Sir Prize, so hopefully we'll have another boar brush convert soon... :shave

I've the other Semogue boar, the 2000, and it's a great brush.
I prefer it to my Omega 48.

I also have the Semogue 2015HD and I like it so much I'm contemplating ordering a back-up.

The 1305 is an excellent brush. For me, it comes into it's own when I use it to make a lather from soap pucks. I had no problem quickly breaking it in - I just spent a little time early on making a lather, rinsing then repeating about 3 or 4 times. Did that again the following day and it seemed pretty soft to me. It makes great lather from creams and soap sticks so it is a versatile all rounder. My Kent BK8 retails at £80. My Simpsons Duke was in the £60s. This little beauty for less than £10 is remarkable value and a great competitor for my other two brushes. But I'm glad I've got them as I shall describe in other reviews.

Sweeney Todd said:
That's interesting. I'm relying heavily on my Omega 49, as my tiny Culmaks really don't hold enough lather. What do you prefer about the Semogue, if you don't mind me asking? I find the Omega to be a touch soft, so I might be in the market for a more "scrubby" boar brush.

Arrowhead said:
Sweeney Todd said:
That's interesting. I'm relying heavily on my Omega 49, as my tiny Culmaks really don't hold enough lather. What do you prefer about the Semogue, if you don't mind me asking? I find the Omega to be a touch soft, so I might be in the market for a more "scrubby" boar brush.

Omega 49's can be a touch soft. However, they are great brushes. The Semogue has more firmness to it without been prickly, once broken in. Have a gander in the Group Buys if you are considerring getting another boar.

No, I am not on commision :mrgreen: I just appreciate a quality product at a decent price, coming from T'Yorkshire....

This is my second boar, the first being the gigantic Omega Pro 48.

How anyone can use the 48 for face lathering is beyond me. I end up almost painting the entire bathroom with lather, it's way too big for face lathering and prefers to paint rather than swirl. It is however very soft when wet and lathers well. I rarely use it, mainly due to size and ergonomics.

I've only had this little fellow for about a week and have had 2 shaves with it. I did however lather up and dry the brush several times before I used it to shave with.

I find the brush handle very comfortable indeed and the brush looks fantastic. It has real character when sat next to the more suave Badger brushes I own. It's like a punk rocker stood next to a group of well-groomed gentlemen!

It lathers pretty well. However, I think mine is still breaking in, in spite of the split ends of the hairs. It does not hold on to much water or retain heat like my badgers. The second pass is cold. I wonder if this will change as it breaks in more. I hope so!

The bristles themselves are fairly stiff and very, very soft when wet. In fact, and this may be contrary to what most believe about boars, I find it too soft. I face lather and enjoy a good old massage from my brush, this doesn't really cut it. It's more like a soft, Silvertip brush, with slightly stiffer bristles. It's way softer than a pure badger brush.

I'm going to give it some more break-in time and will update my review when I feel I've got to know it a little better.

John

Had my 1305 a week now from vintage scent. Wanted to pick the brains of current owners about breaking them in and how wet/dry you find best.
Don/t get me wrong its a real looker and the handle is perfect for me and was well aware about a "breaking-in" period needed. I've been making scrap lather from a new formula tub of erasmic figuring thats a real test for any brush.

Every few scrap runs i've given it a quick swirl in tabac to see how its doing. Today has seen a break through in lather volume though its looking full of air bubbles more than normal. Wondering if you guys remember the transition period and what to look out for or do. Its not shed so many hairs today which is good and i definitely think its going to be a fine brush. Please dont anyone reading this be put off

All tips appreciated

My advice to you would be to soak the brush for at least 5 minutes in warm water, then follow the inverted lathering procedure in Mantic59's video (See Sandalwoody...tips post here) and then face/bowl lather until you think your arm is about to drop off.
If that does not work then do not despair, your brush is not quite broken in yet.
Just give it time and your patience will be rewarded, all quality goods need breaking in.

Been at this shaving lark for nearly three years now.

This is the only brush I own (unless you count the spare 1305 I've got).

Just right for me - face-lather / one pass.

With Palmolive sticks this thing is amazing and even makes light work of the notoriously fickle Williams' Mug Soap.

Andy, in addition/continuation to SirPrizes excellent advice; you will know when it happens. Everything falls into place.

You should notice the ends of the bristles splitting too. IMO a majpr part of a brush break in period is me getting used to it, the amount of water it holds, the amount of flow thru, how long too spend on the cake, how long to soak. It took about 10 shaves & probably 5 dummy lathers for the bristles on mine to split completely. That was 8 months ago & they are the same today.

I have a few brushes & have gone thru a few too. But, I really like this brush alot, it does everything well. I prefer it to the 2009 LE. They are two different animals though.

Great brush. I soak it in hot water before use and find that squeezing it nearly dry before use does the job well. It doesn't seem to need much water to produce a great lather, probably because it holds so much when wet. I agree with Sir Prize that upside-down lathering is a handy technique.

Quick update - Been trying out the tips from you all each day and happily resigned myself to breaking it in over the long haul i think . Used long and short soaks in water and last few days have noticed the splits in the hairs are starting in more places , though these are sporadic. Currently if i get a dripped dry brush it will make the start of a good lather but instead of working itself into something shaveable , it 'eats' it
Used it on the stubble anyway figuring it will help split those hairs but had to jump to another brush for the lather.

To use the vernacular - "she still hasn't got her panties off ! " :D

Back
Top Bottom