Sedbergh Soap

Wasn't sure whether to post this in the Soap section, but settled on here. Came across Sedbergh, an English soap company that sell a shaving soap:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sedbergh-soap.co.uk/shop/product/203/Soap-Bars/Juniper-Berry/">http://www.sedbergh-soap.co.uk/shop/pro ... per-Berry/</a><!-- m -->

Well, one of their soap range that they say is particularly suited to shaving anyway. It doesn't say how big the bar is, but £3.75 seems a pretty good price. I haven't tried it but thought this may be of interest to other TSR members. They also sell this soap in a wooden bowl with a brush for £16.99. To me this wood have to be a bloody nice bowl for that price, but they say it is hand-turned by a local craftsman so who knows?

I shall be passing quite close to Sedbergh later this week - if it ties in with the opening times of their stockists, I may well pop my head around the door.

<ponders> - actually it's about the right time for a leg-stretch break... I could "just happen" to stop there and not alert SWMBO in the slightest :lol:

I've got some... smells lovely - bought the entire stock of Juniper Berry (both bars). I shall probably offer some out when I get back.

Paid for with a Bank of Ireland fiver :lol: Halfwit at the shop said he couldn't accept "foreign money" :shock: A swift geography lesson fixed that :D

I don't want to hijack this thread, but since I was in Sedburgh today and bought some, I can give you the ingredients:

"Juniper berry soap with pure essential oil
Glycerin, Aqua, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Oleate, Sorbitol, Sodium Laurate, Sodium Myristate, Stearic Acid, Lauric Acid, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Juniperus Communis.
NO Propylene Glycol NO SLS NO SLES NO Parabens NO MIT"

Not what I'd expect from yogurt weavers frankly, but definitely glycerin. I'd agree that it smells very good, but I just plain couldn't get decent lather out of this stuff: just thin airy stuff which disappears quickly, and not much of it to boot. How did you get on Hunnymonster? I'll just be using this for washing with because it doesn't qualify as shaving soap to my way of thinking. Mind you, I did get something good today, but I'll post about that later when I have more time on my hands.

Ok - now I've tried it.

Easy to lather for me - just treated it like a shavestick... wet beard, rubbed over wet beard, applied damp brush, result nice cushioning, lubricating lather.

So I carried on and did a quick one pass shave - no irritation, smell like a conifer hedge though.

Spot on about the juniper bush smell; not the gin that I was expecting. I'm glad that you had decent results, so I'll give it another go shave stick fashion. I do want to like this one, but perhaps I've spoiled myself with tallow soaps.

Back
Top Bottom