Schick Injectors???

Greetings

I have several Schicks and use them regularly and like them, as Micheál said Connaughts is the place to buy the blades, the only place in fact (to my knowledge) in the UK that sells any new Injector blades.

You may if you are lucky stumble across some NOS blades on Ebay some of which are superb and others 'evil'. The Personna blades sold by Connaughts are in my opinion excellent blades and long lived compared to DE blades ie six or seven shaves for me.

There is by the way quite a bit of difference between the way different models of Schick injector razors perform, especially with regard to aggression.

Regards
Dick.

I have around a dozen different injectors and use them all. Great little shavers. I've found that Connaught blades are best, and I've tried a few, including the much regarded Chinese Schicks. When your ready to buy one, PM me, I may have a few E and D types about to go on Ebay.

Derbyshirechap said:
thinking of getting one of the early 'amber' handled ones?

Greetings

The amber handled ones are 'E ' models they are quite aggressive little razors, some people just love them, I am less than keen, they certainly shave well enough but I nearly always get a couple of weepers when I use mine (which is why I rarely do) Strange really as there are many ordinary SE razors far more aggressive that I never have problems with.

The G models which at first glance look identical are less aggressive but IMHO shave just as well but without the collateral damage. The Schick models are pretty straightforward to understand and have all been classified by a Canadian called Alan Appleby, he simply called the earliest model A and the last model produced O, some models have sub models which he sensibly designated numbers. So with the G models you have G1 to G8.

I could write a piece on how to ID E models from G models but if you search the net there are already several such articles.

This site shows the different models.
http://www.renaldo.us/SchickRazors.php

Regards
Dick.

I have found quite a difference in aggression between individual injectors even within the same type. For example, one of my E2s with the opening swivel and patterned head is reasonably mild, whereas the other E2 which has a fixed spring is a little biter if not taken gently. Same with two G2s, one mild and the other more like an E model. The Js are similar with most very mild, but the Golden 500 set one is nice and efficient, a bit like the I2 Hydro-Magic. That aside they are all great shavers.

I recently purchased some Schick ones from amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schick-Injector-Blades-7-Count-Boxes/dp/B001E6VHUQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395938001&sr=8-2&keywords=schick+injector

Nicer blades than the Personna's from Connaught Shaving in my opinion.

I prefer an open comb so aggressive isn't a problem really, I guess the E type is the one I'd be looking for just a good shaving example in case I can't get on with it.

Good choice ... I frustrated myself starting at the mild end with all those lovely looking '70s and '80s injectors. My time again, I'd start out at the earlier end, aggressive and capable. An E will be cool!

The same principle applies as DE shaving. Light touch, shave lathered skin. You'll be fine.

Oh, and take Tom up on his offer ...

Derbyshirechap said:
I prefer an open comb so aggressive isn't a problem really, I guess the E type is the one I'd be looking for just a good shaving example in case I can't get on with it.

Hi there,

Both the E and G types will give you all the bite you can handle, especially with a sharp blade. Those feel like a solid Gillette #8 to me. Bloodsucking little vampire razors is what they are.

There's a learning curve regarding the right angle, but mostly it's figuring out how much pressure to use. It's a new variable and it's important to get right. Most injectors weigh about nothing, and without bearing down the blade isn't gonna be so smooth on your face. To really get the hang of it, I would guess 5-6 times might be needed to figure everything out.

They're a very fun change of pace and can provide a very satisfying shaving experience. The sound they make and how that very stiff blade feels on your face is lots different than a DE. Definitely a trick to em though.

Martin

forgive my ignorance

do you buy a metal holder with 20 blades from connaught then just buy more blades which you refill the holder?

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

I have several Schicks and use them regularly and like them, as Micheál said Connaughts is the place to buy the blades, the only place in fact (to my knowledge) in the UK that sells any new Injector blades.

You may if you are lucky stumble across some NOS blades on Ebay some of which are superb and others 'evil'. The Personna blades sold by Connaughts are in my opinion excellent blades and long lived compared to DE blades ie six or seven shaves for me.

There is by the way quite a bit of difference between the way different models of Schick injector razors perform, especially with regard to aggression.

Regards
Dick.

http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/blades.aspx

i've had this site sitting in my favourites for donkeys now
never used them myself but must have earmarked it for future use :icon_rolleyes:

sorry scratch that, just noticed they're in the US :blush:

Back
Top Bottom