Russian Mole?

Over on the B&B Forum a Russian poster who claims to know someone who works at PPI has caused a tremor by stating that Gillette only makes three different DE blades overall. I will paste the article and let you decide on this "triumvirate" theory. ;)

This is the translated from Russian version of what was posted.

Reversible shaving blades​

I read a lot of reviews on different shaving blades. Very often I met with the opinion that these blades are good, but these are the misfortunes and you cannot buy them. I will reveal a little the secret of the types of blades and how they differ. There will be no specifics, there is the concept of "commercial secret". I will not show a photo of the equipment either.

So, all blades are divided into three types. Unchrome plated, chrome plated and platinum plated chrome. Accordingly, their price is different, incrementally. All, absolutely all blades are made on the same equipment, from the same steel, with the same technological parameters. The quality requirements for all blades are the same, no exceptions. That is, the "Sputnik" and "Gillette" blades are exactly the same, except for the coating.
1.jpg

It all starts with a raw tape, which is formed by a press into blanks for future blades. But it is "soft" (raw) and you won't even be able to sharpen it
2.jpg

The perforated tape is heat treated. Gets "stiff" and ready to be sharpened.
Then a marking is applied to the tape, the name of the brand of the blades. At this moment, different inscriptions can be applied to one batch of tape, which will determine their further processing.
The entire belt goes to the sharpening machine. Different brands of blades are sharpened on the same equipment with the same parameters. After sharpening, the machine cuts the tape into separate blades.
3.jpg

At this stage, there is a constant quality control. Various microscopes, calibers, etc. are used.
4.png
Then the blades are washed from dirt. And here comes the turning point in the fate of our little friends. Some of them are sprayed with a chrome coating, which ensures the longevity of the cutting edge. And more budget products will bypass this procedure.
All of the blades then go on to apply a polymer coating to the edge for a soft shave.
There is quality control at all stages of production. Product tolerances are minimal and are the same for all brands of blades. I can say with pride that the quality is higher than that of our competitors, which is proved by shaving tests :)
Then the blades are packed and sent to stores.
There is a difference between the blades, but on the first and even the third or fourth shaves it is not realistic to feel it. I think a more psychological factor is at work here.

A bit crumpled and without specifics, but unfortunately I can't do it any other way. If you have any questions, I will try to answer. Don't even ask the numbers, I won't tell you.

I've always thought that there is some duplication, but the Sputnik the same as the Nacet? I think not. Same applies to chrome grouping

Another anomaly is that the original article refers to the Polsilver Super Iridium which is discontinued and classes the Minora as platinum when that variant was dropped some while back and then recently superseded by a stainless version (which is an excellent blade)

Back in March, having a run through the 7 O'Clock series ...

Now, I'm going to apply my best Morpheus impression ...

What if I was to tell you that the Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge could be the same blade as the PolSilver Super Iridium?

To be frank, this does not surprise me as really he's saying there are stainless, chrome and platinum. Basic blade blanks (the ribbon of blades) is treated with chrome or chome/platinum. From there the grind (or grinds/facets/bevels) and the final coating (or coatings) are applied and we do indeed get a number of different blades.

We've said this of Lord, or Treet ... or SuperMax: there MUST be some crossover and duplication of the same blade for different markets, but there must also be some difference.

Take SuperMax, well, I believe that Vidyut is the "trusted legacy domestic brand" while Zorrik is the "new, fresh and youthful" brand and SuperMax holding the "top class, rely on me" brand. Vidyuts might get a single coat for barbershop single use, or a flash coat; Zorrik a better coating and SuperMax a double coat.

Take Lord, and we know there is a huge difference between, say, Shark Stainless and the Lord Classic, but the basic blade (and basic blade type: stainless) is the same, while the grind and/or finishing (stropping) and/or coating makes all the difference. Consider the Classic to Super to the Extra to the Superior (all stainless) under just the Lord brand - different finishes.

... but still really, yes, three blades: stainless, chrome and platinum. You'll read that a blade is "double stropped" or "triple coated" and that gives us the indication that finishes are indeed of utmost importance and the definition of differences.

I have disagreed with this chap before, can't remember the specifics but bucket of salt with this.
Gillette may only have made 3 types, but then they acquired Wizamet who made more than one type, Astra, Perma-sharp et al.

We must remember that the entire blade itself is not plated, only the actual edge is hardened & coated. Chrome & platinum are sputtered onto the edge in minuscule amounts to merely harden the edge to make it more durable. The PTFE type coating is what imparts the smoothness, not the sharpness from all I read & interpret from their patents and other reading.

I do believe one thing however: real Gillette engineers are possibly reading these forums and are probably chuckling & chortling aloud. For what reason I don't know. :unsure:

I have disagreed with this chap before, can't remember the specifics but bucket of salt with this.
Gillette may only have made 3 types, but then they acquired Wizamet who made more than one type, Astra, Perma-sharp et al.

Yes, but they bought those various blade cos. in various countries for one reason and one reason only: to get around brutal import tariffs. That was explained by a retired Gillette exec in his memoirs.

Yes, but they bought those various blade cos. in various countries for one reason and one reason only: to get around brutal import tariffs. That was explained by a retired Gillette exec in his memoirs.

Exactly the same reason why finished razors were exported from the UK to Canada and Argentina, despite the US being considerably nearer; the tariff burden was lower

FWIW, I broke out a new Sputnik today and loaded it in my ol' reliable post-war Tech. Soap was B&M 42 in their Soft Heart base. Fantastic shave and adds credence to my subjective theory/opinion that in the overall scheme of wet shaving and given that all other factors, i.e., prep & technique, are equal & proven, that the soap/cream quality is a bigger factor than the blade selection. I don't necessarily mean expensive soaps/creams, but quality as in slickness & perhaps even cushion, but the latter to a lesser degree. Many a mediocre blade has been "helped over the fence" by the aforementioned as well.

Just a note that these latest B&M soap bases are simply beyond belief and I haven't even tried their latest, Omnibus!!

My personal heirarchy:

1. prep
2. technique (to include your favorite razor)
3. soap/cream
4. blade selected

What I mean is that Astra had specific grinding, finishing & coating techniques, & Gillette acquired those with the brand name. So it is possible they now only make three blades, however many of my customers would disagree.

What I mean is that Astra had specific grinding, finishing & coating techniques, & Gillette acquired those with the brand name. So it is possible they now only make three blades, however many of my customers would disagree.

Those small "Mom & Pop" blade makers didn't have anything close to the high tech that Gillette had. That's not to say that a few didn't make some fine blades, e.g., Wizamet, but on the whole I think Gillette R&D made them better. Those who have used original Astra blades (pre-Gillette) can attest to that. Sure, it was a financial move on Gillette's part (it's business after all), but they amalgamated all these old razor blade cos. under one roof and overall make them better and preserved the names as most would have surely perished anyway.

After thinking more about the "three blade theory" presented by the original Russian poster I am somewhat inclined to believe it could very well be true. Prophetically an eponymous case of Occam's razor. :)

Back
Top Bottom