Rotation Point

I use the same brush for about a week, though swap between 'normal' razors in the week and very aggressive razors at the weekend.

During the week I tend to use shave sticks or a solid soap and face lather (to save time).

At the weekends or when time isn't a factor (like today for example, when I'm on holiday) I'll break out the scuttle and a cream and really enjoy the whole process (which I'm sure all of us do really).

I probably use a different stick or soap each day to be honest, though it depends on the brush I'm using. When I was using the 1305 I went through a phase of using Mama Bears lime for about 5 days continuously.

I have quite a few soaps/creams, but I only every have 2 in the bathroom at any one time. This encourages me to use each for longer.

Ian

NotTheStig said:
I tend to use a different one every day. I have about 20 in all and in two and a half years I have finished one tube of Palmolive, one Boots Cool cream and one Bluebeard's Revenge (so have owned 23 in all).

IanM said:
I have quite a few soaps/creams, but I only every have 2 in the bathroom at any one time. This encourages me to use each for longer.

Ian
That sounds like a good plan and has the added advantage of not revealing just how many you've bought.

Dandy Highwayman said:
That sounds like a good plan and has the added advantage of not revealing just how many you've bought.

Oh, she knows. She just isn't bothered. I've even caught her going through my soaps and sniffing the scents.

Ian

I'm pretty much settled these days. Martin de Candre 75% of the time, the other 25% I'll pick a soap from the cupboard and use it for a couple of days before going back to the MdC. I'm currently in the middle of a run with Cade. I expect it'll last for a few days longer, but then it'll be back to the good stuff.

I hardly ever use the creams that I have any more, I should really move them on. :blush:

It's interesting to hear how other people vary the use of their stashes!

I will normally use a razor for a month and run with a blade/soap combination for a week at a time (this normally equals 3 shaves per blade/soap combination).

I am with Ian on this one I have way too many soaps/creams but only keep a couple in the bathroom and I don''t change anything for at least a week. Except the A/s I use depends on my mood although I have been using Steves Bay Rum for the last coupe of weeks as I determined to finnish the bottle..........))

I tend to have a life partner on the go at any time but occasionally partake in a dalliance with one of the other perfumed floozies

I know I'll always love MWF. Good old safe dependable MWF, with her clean little package, sensible scent and firm lather but sometimes those other perfumed little strumpets lead me astray.

My razor of choice flits between the Chatsworth mainly and when I want some bite an English Red Tip.

With brushes I use just one until destruction. Just buried a Duke 3 Best and am know in the process of abusing a New Forest 2210.

I have surprised myself by using the same razor and blade combination for a month or more now. Can't see that changing in the foreseeable.

I move between my EJ 87 and my Gillette Slim Adjustable (at the moment I'm using the pass around Fatboy) each getting a few goes and when I change blade, I change razor.

I've stuck with the same hard soap for months (apart from a dalliance with an Erasmic shave stick for travelling) which is a vintage (25years) Crabtree & Evelyn soap I bought as a younger man. I loved the smell and so use it all the time. I've got other soaps but have stuck with the CE. And I switch between my NF 2221 or EJ pure badger as the mood takes me.

I have 12 soaps or creams on hand - but no logic at all as to how I use them, I'll just make a game time decision.

I only have two razors and one brush (well I do have two, but one is a synthetic MenU brush that I haven't used since I got a badger brush), so not a great deal of rotation there.

Blades - same as soaps. Have about 12-15 types to hand as I'm still working through sampling - I have a couple in mind that I'll bulk and use as regulars, but until my sample supply is near used, I'll just work through those quite randomly. I use a blade as long as it does the job - no rules on minimum or maximum shaves per blade.

My only rule/superstition is that if I add a new soap/cream to the rotation, I will only use it for the first time when I'm due for a brand new blade.

The road to consistency is paved with good intentions... I've tried to stay with one razor, one blade, one soap for more than a day but usually fall off the edge really fast.
I usually make my decision when I walk into the room. Or if I read an interesting choice on TSR I try to copy that.

Me, seeing as there are so many soaps and creams out there to try, my logic is stick to two in a rotation at any one time and they'll use up quicker, thus allowing me to go off and buy some untried brands... Doesn't always work.

My current set up is Crabtree & Evelyn 'Sienna' and Martin De Candre. I find that, doesn't matter what soap or cream I use, at most I can go about three, maybe four, days using the same product before my skin starts feeling the burn. So I use either soap on alternate days.

Creams are more of a luxury to me, soap is my 'go to'.

Back
Top Bottom