Ringing the changes

OK I just want to say I'm not trying to justify my new habit of buying shaving goods :oops:

I started DE shaving with a Parker (loaned by a friend) while waiting delivery of my Merkur 34c, the Parker was duly returned and I got on OK with the Merkur, so I bought a spare Merkur :roll: tried it with several different blades some good some not so good :idea:

Then I recently bought a Edwin Jagger DE87 with the white 'ivory' handle :!: what a difference :shave I can honestly say that FOR ME it's a better razor, in fact i've tried it with blades that I'd previously put aside as 'tried but not good for me' and found that it wasn't the blades after all :eek: maybe my technique with the Merkur wasn't as good or whatever, the DE87 seems to be the razor for me :D

So, the habit of buying and trying different razors/blades/soaps etc is perhaps not quite as bad a habit as I may have thought, My used Merkur has gone in the drawer (for now) and the 'spare' Merkur could well be sold/swapped at some time in the future :roll: Meanwhile I'm going to keep ringing the changes with blades in the DE87 :idea:

.... as well as trying different soaps/creams/brushes/AS :oops: :lol:

This and the DE89L are ubiquitous on this forum at the moment, and I haven't heard a bad word about them. People even suggest the quality of this razor (which you can get on amazon for £15-£20) is better than the £35/£40+ Merkurs I'm familair with.

I am trying to cut down as I have eleven razors already but I am dangerously close to getting one. Can you just tell me whether the razors you/anyone else who volunteers use fidn them to be edging more towards agressive than mild?
My Slim Adjustable on 4/5 and my Merkur 38R are the kinds of aggressiveness I generally like - centre-right of average aggressiveness I would say. My Techs are probably a bit too mild for me really, so if the EJ is fairly or very aggressive I may have to buy one.

My DE87 gets a pretty regular outing, it's a beautiful razor to look at, and to hold, but for some reason I'm never quite as happy with the shave as I would be with the 34C... nothing I can put my finger on mind you. Just goes to show that it's horses for courses.
It's great that you love it though, it seems to be getting more fans by the day. Worth way more than the asking price too, the finish is sublime.

Hmmm. Next time I drink a bit too much I'll probably point my smartphone to amazon and get one. And I'm going to the pub tonight after work.

NotTheStig said:
Hmmm. Next time I drink a bit too much I'll probably point my smartphone to amazon and get one. And I'm going to the pub tonight after work.

Well, mine has just been delivered by Amazon. Beautiful finish. In the end, though, it was the price. Virtually every poster in every forum raves about them and I just couldn't see how something that good could be so cheap.

Go on. You know you want to! Only downside is, you get a pack of Derby's with it :D

Talking of ringing the changes.

Before I got into this shaving lark this was what I collected:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://fido-bells.blogspot.com/">http://fido-bells.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

Buying things you enjoy is a lot of fun. Many shaving products don't cost a fortune so don't even try to kick the habit!

NotTheStig said:
My Slim Adjustable on 4/5 and my Merkur 38R are the kinds of aggressiveness I generally like - centre-right of average aggressiveness I would say. My Techs are probably a bit too mild for me really, so if the EJ is fairly or very aggressive I may have to buy one.

I suspect that you would like the Edwin Jagger. Not used a Tech but I have a few flair tips which I find too mild, I have my slim set at 5 or 6 and I don't find my DE89 aggressive just efficient.

Jeltz said:
I suspect that you would like the Edwin Jagger. Not used a Tech but I have a few flair tips which I find too mild, I have my slim set at 5 or 6 and I don't find my DE89 aggressive just efficient.

+1 Jeltz. I find Techs pretty mild and I also find a flare tip to be too mild. I agree with you that a Jagger is more aggressive but not overly so, so just efficient. I think it's the DE razor of the moment.

Thanks Jeltz and Canucks. That's settled then. I'm buying one.
I'm going to go for the smooth silver-coloured handle because I think it looks marginally nicer than the lined silver one (and because it's £6 cheaper)

Fido said:
Talking of ringing the changes.

Before I got into this shaving lark this was what I collected:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://fido-bells.blogspot.com/">http://fido-bells.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

Buying things you enjoy is a lot of fun. Many shaving products don't cost a fortune so don't even try to kick the habit!

Wow, I honestly do not even know what to say haha.

Back
Top Bottom