Review: Dovo Shavette

I was kindly piffed a Dovo shavette from Zig Zag (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6434" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtop ... =11&t=6434</a><!-- m -->)
And I thought I'd do a review on it...

238.jpg

For some reason I had been putting off trying this. (some of those reasons were nice and shiny things that came from Neil!)

To be honest, I really wanted to hate it, because it looks cheap, and it's a shavette... So I have to admit, I was very biased to start with!
Anyways, I thought I'd go with a blade I know from my DE days, a shark.
Cut it in half (this is the part I really don't like!) put it in, checked it. looks good.
I also stropped my frameback Bk36 (just in case!)

Usual prep, shower, KoS shaving oil, MWF, 2211, and well.. quite impressed.
Did a few passes, the usual bits, etc.. got a DFS.

Now to be honest, it's not all positive, there are a few things that bother me.

Cons:
  • Weight, this is lighter than I'd like (29g loaded, vs. 45-50 for my framebacks) I do not like light.
    Feels cheap, almost toy like.
    The cutting edge is small, the width of a DE blade (compared to a straight)
    Lack of visibility. (I like seeing my blade!)
    Cutting DE blades in half is a bit dangerous.
    DE blades are sharper than straights.
    [/list:u]

Now the Pros:
    • Cheap
      Uses standard blades
      No stropping
      No maintenance, (cleaning drying etc..)
      Similar shave compared to a frameback, very sharp![/list:u]

Conclusion:
      • As I only had one shave with it, this is my initial verdict, this might change over time.
        Being pretty relaxed while straight shaving, a shavette was not something I felt confortable with at first.
        I did however quickly get the hang of it, and managed a nice clean shave.
        My main problem with the shavette is look, weight and the size of the cutting edge.
        I do think however that this could be an good alternative to take with me in a weekend bag, or camping.
        Something you can lose, and not have to worry about storage. (and no strop to take)
        Would I recommend one to a newbie?
        • No.[/list:u]
          Why?
          • It's a different animal, I think with a straight you have a lot more visibility. (the blade is in full view)
            I like visibility, and I think that as a newbie, you need to watch where that blade is going.
            Also because of the weight, you might actually be tempted to put pressure on it, not a good idea!

I will keep it as a holiday/travel tool, especially since I'm pretty prone to forgetting things in places!

Thanks to Zig Zag for his kind offer!

Max

Nice review Max.

Is there not a longer blade for the Dovo shavette? I'm sure I saw somewhere one that was a bit longer than a standard DE. The Dovo is quite a bit dearer than most other shavettes.

I bought a shavette from The Shave Shack (£12 I think) and this one had quite a weight to it. It feels good in the hand and I still use it in my rotation even though I have a nice straight now. I find it is a different animal to straight shaving and enjoy them both.

Kev

there are longer blades for these i'm sure

you just need a different blade holder insert

if i remember the long ones are green?

Nice review!

Tried a shavette after using straights and found it ok! Not great but good enough if I'm in a rush, but if I'm in a rush I just pick up a DE.

Just a treat now and again and it's something different.

My shavette is stainless and feels solid enough, is yours one of the faux scale ones?

Like you, I would NOT recommend a newbie to try first

::EDIT::
Just seen your updated picture, it's the same one I got from badgerandhone during the sale!

Whisp, I've added a pic in the original post, it's stainless steel (or partly anyway!)

I know there are longer blades, but I've not seen them for sale anywhere...

I will be getting a xd20 soon, so I'll compare it to the Dovo.

Max

I agree the weight of the shavette might be a problem, but after two weeks of solid use, I have come to like it.
I first loaded it with the black insert, but I did not get on well with the Dovo blade so by the second shave the red insert was loaded with an Astra Platinum. A lot better in my opinion but then the length became a slight problem.
Just for reference -
* Red Insert Blade-Holder - Use with any brand double edge razor blade that you cut in half, or use the DOVO Short Shavette Blade.
* Black Insert Blade-Holder - Use with the DOVO Long Shavette Blade.
* Green Insert Blade-Holder - Use with the Ridgid-Back Personna Shavette Blade.
I am back to the real deal now but the shavette is firmly lodged in my travel bag and there are no issues when commuting on aircraft !
I am in a 50/50 mind if its a good choice for a newbie.
All the inserts have protectors on the end which is useful to start with plus the initial cost of the item is relatively cheap but always sharp.
When compared to a straight, the initial outlay is somewhat more costly, firstly for the blade and then for a strop which "will" get damaged and have to be replaced just to find out that straight shaving is not for them and they return to a DE. Another interesting point is if the newbie is a DE shaver then he will be accustomed to a type of blade and will know what the end result should be like, so can concentrate solely on technique (be it that it is a bit awkward to see the angle). My conclusion - A great travel shaver, a possible newbie razor and a bit of fun for an existing straight user.

Back
Top Bottom