Resurrection G ... Back from the Dead!

I put in idle bid on a poorly photographed Schick - could have been an E, maybe a G, no idea on the condition but the starting bid was £2 with free postage. I put the starting bid on and won it! Great!

Alas, days passed, a week passed and another week ... and I thought it was lost. The seller would not get in touch with me, opened a case and still silence. I would have been due my money back tomorrow for lack of contact from the seller, but blow me down! This morning, it dropped through my letter box. Beauty!

I opened it up and my heart sank ...

Not for the complete waste of two whole British pounds, but for the state of the poor thing. I must be a real shaver because I looked on this crusty old razor like I might a mange and flea-ridden cat. Poor chap!

Once I'd got the rusty blade out I was a little more hopeful for a decent recovery ...

Before%2520....JPG

Before%2520....JPG

So, after a soak in boiled water and a general scrub up with my favourite first line of attack, De-Solv-It Metal Cleaner, it was starting to look presentable ...

All%2520Purpose%2520Metal%2520Cleaner.JPG

... some polishing with Peek and a yellow duster, we've got a reasonable looker!

_..%2520polished..JPG

_..%2520polished..JPG

_..%2520polished..JPG

Washed again in scalding water, soap, rinsed and immersed into 100% alcohol for a few minutes, let's drop a blade in ...

_..%2520and%2520blade%2520loaded..JPG

Good to go!

Great deal and a great turnaround, do you half a de blade to fit or is it a special blade.

One of these type of razors would be great to have out on display people really would be interested, might have a look if they can be picked up for that sort of price.

Cheers.

This is a Schick. Broadly, the class of razor is called an "injector" ... because the blade is injected from a cassette. I'm presently using blades from Connaught who sell Personna Coated blades - these are particular to this type of razor: http://www.connaughtshaving.com/injectorblades.html

In the pictures, you might just see "Insert Key Here", which means the protrusion from the injector cassette is pushed in there, which relieves some of the tension holding the blade in place and allows the new blade to slide in, removing the old blade.

Thanks for the kind comments, guys.

I knew I'd seen it done before, but couldn't quite figure out how to fully disassemble the razor. The penny dropped and I released the blade plates from the tension rod and gave the razor a seriously good internal clean, too.

It shaved very nicely indeed :D
http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-24033-post-333474.html#pid333474

IMG_4638.JPG

... a picture I felt could be better and so staged it this morning. The "rum" is gravy browning diluted, ice cubes are real.

IMG_4645.JPG

All was going well until a dark cloud loomed over! Ah, it was just the moggy joining me in playing with my razors :D

IMG_4684.JPG

Cheers, folks! I've had a lot of fun with this.

Use a Schick everyday. Have a 'C' model that I use to touch up around my beard after I finish with the str8. Great for reaching into the tight spaces.

Back
Top Bottom