Repairing vintage brush handles

I saw a vintage Harrods butterscotch best badger brush in a shop earlier today which was being sold very cheaply (£12).

I'm presuming that the brush was made by Simpsons (as I believe that they used to sell them to Harrods). The problem is that upon inspection it a large crack was evident running down the back of the handle.

I'm not sure whether or how easy it is to repair such cracks and whether or not is would be cost effective to do so.

I thought that I would ask the question here first before committing to buy the brush and then finding out that I'd wasted my money.

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether the purchase would be worthwhile or not?

You could easily stabilise the crack yourself by filling with super glue or epoxy, bare in mind that "butterscotch" is only skin deep so you can't sand it back without revealing the original colour and ruining the patina. If it's cracked and needs a new knot, forget it.

I salvaged a badly cracked brush

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-10106-post-138334.html#pid138334

If you were getting the brush as a freebie, it would be an interesting exercise, but £15 plus a knot ???

Steve

Back
Top Bottom