Prarie Creations Soap

Over the last few days I have been using a sample of the Prairie creations soap kindly send via Steve from Fozz so I wanted to post a review of it as it is not readily available here (vendors feel free to jump in and grab some, it will sell)

I had been wanting to try this soap for some time and had read about it many times on B&B with many thumbs up, enough to convince me that this was not hysteria that happens on many forums when someoneseen as an expert declares something as great. Call me a sceptical git but I believe no one, I do listen and take the opinion on board but I really try hard to approach everything with an open mind and see if the soap/razor/blade/brush etc.... works for me because everyone's experience is different. This is why so many seem scared to say great things about products or when they do they suffix it with YMMV just in case you bought blindly and found it disappointed or did not meet the glowing review you read. I will not do this ever but it is implied in every review I write, they are all only my experience and opinion which are affected by many factors like how happy I am that day, was it the end of the week, did I get laid the night before....all of these things can affect someone's judgement and there is nothing we can do about it..

So with this in mind I will say I love Prairie Creations soap (and PC the answer to the question in your head is no). The scent is subtle but nice, it lathers well although I do find it a little fussy with the water ratio but not overly annoying that it takes ages to get it right. I find the same experience with Fitjar, these "fussy soaps" are with the effort in my mind, when you get them right the lather is top class stuff.It is like making a good white sauce, there is a small window where is reaches the right consistency and you can see it start to glisten, keep going and you overwork it, stop earlier and it is too heavy.

The cushioning and protective properties from the soap are very good, it lubricates well and allows the razor to glide easily across the skin in any direction, it also leaves that nice slick feeling that allows an easy touch up or blade buff on a trouble area. Looking at the vendors shop website there are 6 different varieties of scented, unscented and EO in both lanolin and lanolin free so 6 types multiplied by many scents therefore the sheer volume of choice available is like Mama Bears there has to be a scent in there you will like but it can also be overwhelming which one to choose. PC soap are offered in Tallow and Tallow with Lanolin, there is also a cream, I find the lather more like Tabac/MWF in texture than Mama Bears.

Don't get me wrong I do like and prefer Tallow soaps but I do not dismiss Glycerin ones at all, I love Mama bears and how easy it lathers, the skin care is also great but there is a difference that should be noted. About a third of my regular use soaps are non tallow and I do not feel as if I am missing out when I use them.

Back to the PC, the most stand out feature of this soap is after shave skin feeling,. My Alim stick tells me the shave from this soap is very good, close but not overly aggressive, minimal sting from the RazoRock (shameless plug - still available if you want one) and my skin feels nicely moisturised, I use the term "calm skin" and it is self explanatory (no irritation, not feeling the need for additional mloisturiser or blams), this same sort of calm skin that I get from Fitjar, Henk and our own lovely Sopalchemist (Sharon) soaps.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://prairie-creations.com/shop/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://prairie-creations.com/shop/index.php</a><!-- m -->

Great stuff, thanks Fozz, I do not know if I will order some as I have so much soap right now, but it was great to try it and I will enjoy th rest of the sample. It would certainly be on my shortlist of regular use soaps if I had bought a tub.

excellent review Audio

i can concur with all your findings and find that it works best for me with a big boar
Omega 49 or Semogue 2000

scents are a little faint but not a great minus point
many thanks again to Fozz for getting them over here and Steve for getting it to me

would i buy a big one
i'd take one over a HBS and an Olivias

if anyone else wants to try drop me a PM and i'll pass mine on

Excellent review, and I'd concur with most of what you say, Audio. My only criticism, and it's a very mild one, is that the cushioning falls short of what I get from Sharon's soap, but then again I've come to regard that as a benchmark. I'd say it was unimpeachable for use with a DE, and fine with an open razor if you're not in too much of a hurry. Skin feel and scent are as good as anything I can think of. Thanks again for your generosity Fozz, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom