Portugal

I'm off to Portugal. A country that I've never visited before and know virtually nothing about.

Anyone have any hints and tips on what to eat and drink - and equally anything to avoid?

In a lot of the small cafes I've been into it's been quite a basic menu, barbecued pork ribs, barbecued chicken, with salads, lemon, potato dishes. Usually with a couple of pieces of cheese and bread whether you like it or not.
The seafood is good. In Porto the local fish is the gilt head bream, it's known locally as the Dorado (not to be confused with the Mahi Mahi which is also called a Dorado but comes from the tropics). It usually comes barbecued on charcoal and is simply dressed with olive oil and lemon. It's nice. The green lipped mussels that you get there are very good too, they're enormous.
Bacalhau (dried salt cod) is one of the famous dishes but I wasn't keen.
Drink Sagres.

Canuck said:
Drink Sagres.

I've never been to Portugal, but have a few Portuguese friends and have been to a couple of Portuguese restaurants over here and salt cod fritters are absolutely fantastic. I've made them myself a few times and although it can be a bit of a faff they're well worth it. If I was going to Portugal I'd seek out the real thing!

For those that are interested there's a good recipe for them here and the rest of the book is pretty good too.

http://leitesculinaria.com/7586/recipes-portuguese-salt-cod-fritters.html

Great sea food & charcoal grilled food. The sardines are a favourite of mine. The cheeses are great, the Port aint too shabby either. Oh, & you might stumble across some shave goodies in pharmacies & supermarkets.

Enjoy!

All I will say is that I have had several holidays in the Algarve and the food was excellent, the fish dishes are wonderful firm favourites like chicken piri piri, catpalana, lobster lots of shell fish, you cannot go wrong really, and some of the deserts are very good as well, just driving past some of the small towns and getting a whiff of the sardines on charcoal will make your taste buds start to dance around. I stayed at a few resorts Caverio, Lagos, iv'e also stayed near Lisbon Estoril, if you go into Lisbon beware of the pick pockets especially on the trams.

Jamie

Canuck said:
In a lot of the small cafes I've been into it's been quite a basic menu, barbecued pork ribs, barbecued chicken, with salads, lemon, potato dishes. Usually with a couple of pieces of cheese and bread whether you like it or not.

It's almost mandatory, it's to have a bite while you wait for the food!

Canuck said:
The seafood is good. In Porto the local fish is the gilt head bream, it's known locally as the Dourada (not to be confused with the Mahi Mahi which is also called a Dorado but comes from the tropics). It usually comes barbecued on charcoal and is simply dressed with olive oil and lemon. It's nice. The green lipped mussels that you get there are very good too, they're enormous.
Drink Sagres.

Just a quick Portuguese correction, sorry! Sagres? No way, drink Super Bock! :icon_lol:

That's a great description Canuck, sounds like you've been here a lot! Did you tried Bacalhau com Natas? It's the best way, or Bacalhau à Zé do Pipo that I also like a lot!

Don't really have anything to add, you guy's are quite the connoseurs of Portuguese food!

If you want to experience Portugal stay away from "Allgarve", it's more English than Portuguese, especially in August! :icon_wink:

Carvalho,

I often have to go to Porto and Lisbon for work hence the frequent stays. Never long enough, Portugal is so beautiful.

Thank you for the correction on the spelling of Dourada. I enjoyed it immensely in Porto especially paired with white port from Casa Calem.

I can't remember what sort of Bacalhau I had, I just remember that I didn't like it! The West Indians in London also like salt cod (I think that's thanks to Portuguese influence in the 17th century) but I have never been keen. Definitely an aquired Portuguese taste!

Cheers.

Canuck said:
Definitely an aquired Portuguese taste!

Well, my girlfriend is Spanish so she was a big fan of Bacalhau either, especially the way it's made in Spain! But when she tried a well made Bacalhau com Natas she became as instant fan! There are better ways of having it, and I'm sure one particular recipe will please more than others!

As we say in Portugal, Há 1001 maneiras de fazer bacalhau! (There are 1001 ways of making salted cod!)

Hope you'll like it best next time you're here! Cheers!

Eat: Cataplana with almond tart for dessert
Drink: Super Bock (Beer), Vinho Verde (White Wine), Dao (Red Wine), Casal Mendes (Rose)
Also worth trying are Medronho (a local fiery spirit) and any of the almond liquers, and Port of course

Thanks guys for all the tips. There is certainly food for thought among your replies.:icon_razz:

I have had Bacalhau croquettes in Spain and also Dourado and really enjoyed them both so I'm optimistic about other ways of cooking the Bacalhau.
I have to confess that for years I thought that Super Bock beer was South African - I hope you you can see where I'm coming from on that one. Doh!!!

I must say I am really looking forward to this trip although I could come back a stone heavier.

Can a mod please close this thread? It is making me crave a holiday and very hungry!! ;-)

I love food, and with the influx in immigrants coming to this country you would think I could get to taste all these foreign meals, only problem is - it's usually pretty expensive over here!

Enjoy your trip, Portugal is still on my list of places to visit :)

Back
Top Bottom