Polsilvers - is it just me?

Well, I've had two shaves with a Polsilver someone kindly sent me as a free item with a purchase from BST. Used it in my 34c, and I can't understand what all the fuss is about. Maybe they're a razor-dependent blade, but my impressions from using in the Merkur are of a decent blade, reminiscent for me of Shark Super Stainless and the top-of-the-range Supermaxes, but neither quite sharp or smooth enough to unseat Astra SPs or Gillette Yellows as my favourites in the Merkur. Have I missed something? Before anyone says "try it in a different razor", I should mention I've put it in an old Wilkinson plastic cassette that I use for old blades, and can't see a way of getting it back out without risking damaging one or both edges.:blush:

I found them excellent on a couple of razors and mediocre in one other. Can't remember which ones I'm afraid but I can offer some sympatico with you there

NotTheStig said:
I found them excellent on a couple of razors and mediocre in one other. Can't remember which ones I'm afraid but I can offer some sympatico with you there

That's encouraging - I possibly would have had a higher opinion of it had I used it in one of my other razors. Given that I have several other blades (more readily available) to stock up on, plus I've yet to try Super Thins, Gillette Greens, Iridiums etc., I'm not going to go mad trying to get hold of more Polsilvers.

I find for me they like more agressive razors as they give a close shave but without the irritation I used to get with say the Gillette Yellows. But I guess each person will find them different. I have to admit I do like them though and should use them more often, but seem to be using Personna Labs a lot these days cheap and very good !!

YMMV. Different horses for different courses. I find then to be a good all around blade. Not the least expensive nor the easiest to find.

I'm with you Chris, I didn't find them all that the hype led me to believe.

That said I do think they're razor specific, they are smooth and mild, so as others have said I think they need a more aggressive razor. I tried them in my HD500 and found them quite draggy, maybe something like a red tip, aristocrat junior, or slim on 5 may do them more justice.

tried them in all my ikons and did'nt rate them at all ,
okish in a few aristo's
iam afraid there not for me , better blades out there i.e. greens, yellows perma sharps , voskhod , feathers

I have tried only 1 pack of these, but would consider them to be a good budget blade, I also wouldn't put them in the same class as SI's, & 7 O'clocks or Swede's.

Jonnieboy61 said:
I have tried only 1 pack of these, but would consider them to be a good budget blade, I also wouldn't put them in the same class as SI's, & 7 O'clocks or Swede's.

Not much of a budget blade now they're no longer made?:huh:

I'm glad I'm not the only one to be underwhelmed so far - thanks to the kindness of TSR members, I've got another chance with them. Jamies - I was thinking about Slim on 5, oddly enough, though I'd say the 34c rates about a 7 or 8 on the Slim.

I thought they were superb in my Merkur Slant (I had considered getting rid of the slant). They were superb in my Futur, Good in my Gillette New and OK in my Superspeed and DE89.

Different blades work for different people.
They also vary between razors.

Back
Top Bottom