Point me in the right direction please!

I had to many silly questions that would end up in lots of sections on here so thought would post in here.

Basically, sick of my proglide after first use, shaving rash, rubbish cut, stupidly priced blades etc!

I have done as much googling and google can do, researching on techniques, blades, creams, brushes etc on how I can get an excellent shave!

So I quickly popped out any got a wilkinson classic DE, loved it, but need a little more practice!

Question time.....
Do I continue with my wilkinson razor and blades, or get the Edwin jagger, not sure of name but I think it s their entry model around £22.

Keep the blade I get with it, or change to......recommendations?

I have a synthetic brush, not sure if I 'need' a badger one to get the best lather?

Shaving cream wise, I have just got my test pot of Edwin jagger aelo Vera cream which will go over oil on face. I did use the real shaving co cream but it really stung!

Any help welcome

The Edwin Jagger is a better razor but there is no harm in sticking with the WS while you get used to the technique. Blades are a matter of personal taste so a blade sampler pack from Connaught is a good idea although.

Likewise your brush would be probably be fine but yes you might find you get a quicker lather and a brush that holds enough for 3 passes if you buy a badger one. You will probably still be able to get a good lather with your current one but it might take longer and you might have to do 2 lots.....

Ultimately if you think you are going to carry on DE shaving then you'll buy the stuff anyway (and much more) the choice is yours buy now or later :twisted:

Robbo

I'd be inclined to stay with what you have for a little while to improve your technique with each product. I used my first outfit for several weeks and introduced change gradually. And change you will. If you get really keen you will try several razors,blades, creams, soaps, brushes etc. But the key to a good shave is to use what you have properly. So take your time, get better each day, and then give in to temptation gradually.

Enjoy!

I am one of these people who like to go out and buy the stuff in one go, then add, change till I am happy, its a nightmare!

I can definately see me sticking to DE though! I just love the prep, the shave, the equipment etc!

Silly question, but are the wilkinson blades decent enough to keep going with for a while? I didnt want them to be 'naff' ones and not get a decent shave from them.

Robbo said:
I am one of these people who like to go out and buy the stuff in one go, then add, change till I am happy, its a nightmare!

I can definately see me sticking to DE though! I just love the prep, the shave, the equipment etc!

Silly question, but are the wilkinson blades decent enough to keep going with for a while? I didnt want them to be 'naff' ones and not get a decent shave from them.

I find Wilkinson Sword blades are pretty middle of the road sharp enough but not too sharp and reasonably smooth, but others may not agree. As I said its personal preference. If you are doing OK with them at the moment stick with them until you are more comfortable with DE shaving.

IMO the WS blades are fine; not brilliant, but plenty good enough for learning with. As far as the razor is concerned, on the plus side it's mild, which is good for learning as it's less likely to bite if you make a mistake, but the balance, IMO is too handle-heavy. This mean that it encourages the shaver to exert excessive pressure - when I switched from my WS razor to a Merkur HD it took me a while to get rid of the habit of using too much pressure; then again, I had been using cartridge razors and canned goo for around 12 years! If I were you, I'd invest in two things: firstly, either the EJ razor or a Merkur 34c/33c (33c has a longer handle, IIRC), and secondly, a blade sampler pack. However, I would stick with the WS blades and your other kit for a while, concentrating on technique, just changing the razor at first.

chrisbell said:
IMO the WS blades are fine; not brilliant, but plenty good enough for learning with. As far as the razor is concerned, on the plus side it's mild, which is good for learning as it's less likely to bite if you make a mistake, but the balance, IMO is too handle-heavy. This mean that it encourages the shaver to exert excessive pressure - when I switched from my WS razor to a Merkur HD it took me a while to get rid of the habit of using too much pressure; then again, I had been using cartridge razors and canned goo for around 12 years! If I were you, I'd invest in two things: firstly, either the EJ razor or a Merkur 34c/33c (33c has a longer handle, IIRC), and secondly, a blade sampler pack. However, I would stick with the WS blades and your other kit for a while, concentrating on technique, just changing the razor at first.

Yea I think the blade is somthing I will develop my self into, I really was thinking about the razon so I get used to one razor technique without getting used to my Wilkinson Classic, as you say the weight it in the handle, then get a EJ and have to try to master it again. I think I get some Derby Edge blade with the razor.

how do they compare?

On a certain very large online retail operation, you can pick up the EJ for £15

So spoil yourself. It is so much better than the plastic wilki

For blades you could go to the Buy/sell/trade forum and sign up for the pif. Free except for postage

Normally I recommend the WS for someone who's getting their feet wet, and still a bit unsure whether this DE shaving business is worth it. It seems to me you are already sold, so get the EJ! I have the DE87 and it's pretty good.
Both razors work better with blades sharper than Wilkinsons, so your first purchase should be some Tesco "Israeli" blades which are sharper and very smooth.

I would stick to what you have just now but if your itching to take the plunge into something that bit nicer to use you can't go wrong with the EJ DE87 at just over £15

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwin-Jagger-Imitation-Double-Safety/dp/B003LW0LWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=drugstore&qid=1299958236&sr=8-1">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwin-Jagger-Im ... 236&sr=8-1</a><!-- m -->

And a sample pack of blades to suit your pocket

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html">http://connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html</a><!-- m -->

Brush wise the boar is good but Badger is better in my opinion, especially for someone starting out. You are kind of spoiled for choice in brushes, a New Forest Brush from Fido is very cost effective, a much higher quality product with proven track record but I should also say there are many others on this forum who sell brushes and even EJ do a great brush in best badger to match the DE87 and comes with it's own stand; something like this

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwin-Jagger-1ej947sds-Traditional-English/dp/B002QI45Z0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299958759&sr=1-2">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwin-Jagger-1e ... 759&sr=1-2</a><!-- m -->

Thanks for the help and links

I have some more specific questions now so will post in the relevant forum parts :)

Back
Top Bottom