Platinum Blades - is this a thing?

After 6 months of DE adventures, although I’m still unsure what I prefer for certain, I‘m really clear that Platinum blades just don’t work well for me, they seem tougher and more irritating than steel which feels counter intuitive.

Has anyone else found this?

After 6 months of DE adventures, although I’m still unsure what I prefer for certain, I‘m really clear that Platinum blades just don’t work well for me, they seem tougher and more irritating than steel which feels counter intuitive.

Some work well for me but some don’t. I don’t get on with the very popular Astra Super Platinum but I like Lord Platinum. Gillette platinum I find good but BiC Chrome Platinum, I do not. The newer Personna Platinum Chrome is a fabulous blade for me.

Use what works for you and ignore those who get irritated by your questions. Keep asking as this is a community that helps. We do like a bit of banter though….

A razor blade is typically formed of a suitable substrate material such as stainless steel, and a cutting edge is formed with a wedge-shaped configuration with an ultimate tip having a radius less than about 1000 angstroms, e.g., about 200-300 angstroms. Hard coatings such as diamond, amorphous diamond, diamond-like carbon-(DLC) material, nitrides, carbides, oxides or ceramics are often used to improve strength, corrosion resistance and shaving ability, maintaining needed strength while permitting thinner edges with lower cutting forces to be used. Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) outer layer can be used to provide friction reduction. Interlayers of niobium or chromium containing materials can aid in improving the binding between the substrate, typically stainless steel, and hard carbon coatings, such as DLC...

More than you ever wanted to know.

Yes.

I often get irritation from (some) platinum blades, not shaving rash but definitely a post-shave rash. Time and again. I often find that the blade feels that it is not cutting effectively and an analysis after a first pass often reveals patchiness. Gillette (Russian), Astra, Lord, ASCO, Merkur & Tatra, by way of example.

That said, my favourite blade is the Treet Platinum. Apparently, with some spectral analysis, it was found that the Treet is platinum in name only (like "Gold Class"). I also rate the SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum very highly, Gillette Winner Special Platinum (Indian), Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Indian), Sharp 7AM Hi-Platinum, Lamix Platinum Plus and of course the very excellent Personna Platinum Chrome, none of which give me these issues ... go figure.

Like you, I would say that I prefer a simple stainless ... and often say the more plebian, the better. Don't write off platinum altogether, as there are some really super blades to be had with that word on the packaging.

I seem to remember reading about a man who worked at Gillette’s research lab. They were working on reducing blade tugging and that is where PTFE comes in. However, PTFE doesn’t want to stick to the blade edge but a coating of platinum did the trick.
further research stopped as double sided blades were dropped in favour of multi blades.

Back
Top Bottom