Pen knife

Hope I'm OK posting this here. It's a knife and it's said you can shave with it. Take some skill though..
This was my old swiss army knife I had as a kid (1980s) and if you see any going at car boot sales ect maybe grab. Plus look out for vintage razor's. Both are very collectable..
Problem with these is the scales go bad and some make some tidy replacements but not cheap.
I just picked up some hardwood and using my electric sander got at it.
Then I cut by hand to shape with Stanley knife and finally finished sanding by hand.
I serviced knife. Stuck on wooden scales with polymer mastic from DIY (£4)
Oiled the wood.
Walked out in the garden and took this picture.
Now the question you want to know is can you shave with it?
Well I believe so and I've decided to try but maybe the easy bits going easy just for interest. The knife is well sharp.
Not a razor as such but a restoration project..
Mods move if wrong area to post.

Last edited:
Hope I'm OK posting this here. It's a knife and it's said you can shave with it. Take some skill though..
This was my old swiss army knife I had as a kid (1980s) and if you see any going at car boot sales ect maybe grab. Plus look out for vintage razor's. Both are very collectable..
Problem with these is the scales go bad and some make some tidy replacements but not cheap.
Then I cut by hand to shape with Stanley knife and finally finished sanding by hand.
Oiled the wood.
Well I believe so and I've decided to try but maybe the easy bits going easy just for interest. The knife is well sharp.

Love it, (y)I replaced the wood on my grandads pruning knife ( hooked blade) years ago. Oiled the wood a few times and it now looks great. Yours will darken and look better with age.
A shame it just sits in a drawer now and I use one with no sentimental value. :)

Oiled the wood.

Nice job.
Looks like a Wenger (rather than a Victorinox) swiss army knife. Far as I can tell a Teton or Traveller model. Now discontinued models.
I've managed to get a decent edge on some of my SAKs and can shave arm hair off. However I don't believe the Inox (stainless) steel performance is suitable for facial shaving.
Prove me wrong Crocodile Dundee :)

I honestly believe that you could shave with that penknife and am plenty happy to prove that it's do-able.

Send me a PM so we can arrange a time to meet up when your face is ready for shaving.

@Johnny Beeblebrox

It's a Wenger. Can't remember which type.
Wenger SAKs had wider main blades (with "Wenger" embossed on the tang - bit of giveaway!), more hooked can opener, spring loaded/serrated scissors (i.e. superior to Victorinox type) and 83mm in length.
What I can't make out on your SAK is the detail on small blade (or is it a nail file?).
I presume the bottle opener/screwdriver has an automatic pressure lock (when pushing onto a screw handily locks blade)?
<geek mode off>

@Johnny Beeblebrox

Nail file
Spring sissors
Lock on the flat screwdriver.. Omg! I never knew that. It has too :)

I carry in best ruck sack and been handy especially on days out.
Scissor mostly and Mrs used nail file a few times

@Johnny Beeblebrox

Nail file
Spring sissors
Lock on the flat screwdriver.. Omg! I never knew that. It has too :)

I carry in best ruck sack and been handy especially on days out.
Scissor mostly and Mrs used nail file a few times
Update.
It's a Wenger "Classic 16" (model ID: 1.16.03). Called a 16 as it allegedly has sixteen functions.
Now discontinued since Victorinox bought them out.
The Wenger tradition still continued though with the Evolution 16 currently in production. I have a few in my SAK collection including one with a wooden handle (photo attached).evowood16_sku.png
Looks like Victorinox took their inspiration from you!

Interesting.
Is the Evolution 16 available in UK? I had a quick look and nothing came up. I'll have a look again later.

For work I carry a gerber armbar, milwaukee fastback box cutter and purdy folding multi tool.
Carry all 3 on belt along with a pencil. That's my edc.
Also carry a cheap AAA battery pen light over winter with that dark this time of the year.
A have carried a leatherman wave but not what I use much in my job.
I added a magnet to the armbar to hide a Pz2 bit inside.

Is the Evolution 16 available in UK?

Also carry a cheap AAA battery pen light over winter with that dark this time of the year.
Most Evos can be bought here (may be slightly cheaper elsewhere and sold out nearer Christmas)

I highly recommend this little (USB chargeable) torch as an EDC. I have a few.
A good Christmas stocking filler!
If you wait the manfacturer usually has a flash sale every few months.

Personally, I gave up on pen-knives years ago, for multi-purpose tools.
I migrated first to Leatherman, but once I had the Gerber Legend (bought for a right steal in a PX in Doha for $35), I haven't needed anything else.
My only gripe is that 21 years later, the case is fooked and I can't get a proper Gerber replacement without buying a new tool for circa £120!

Personally, I gave up on pen-knives years ago, for multi-purpose tools.
I migrated first to Leatherman, but once I had the Gerber Legend (bought for a right steal in a PX in Doha for $35), I haven't needed anything else.
My only gripe is that 21 years later, the case is fooked and I can't get a proper Gerber replacement without buying a new tool for circa £120!
SAKs could never be called a multi purpose tool IMHO (and I have many of them!). ;) More of an EDC lite.
Good for opening parcels, untangling shoe laces and cutting fruit but that's about it.

On the Gerber front have you thought about a hand made case?
When I used to trade SAKS I'd sometimes buy a few custom built off Etsy. I had some crackers in my time.
A bit on the expensive side but definitely an option. Looking at circa £25-£40+...
I did a quick Gerber Case search on Etsy and several tasty options seemed to pop up.
Maybe research and DM one or two of the more promising candidates?

Back
Top Bottom