Opinions on Gillette 7 o'clocks

I notice these come in different colour box's / packaging.

Yellow = sharp edge.

Black = Super platinum.

Green = Perma sharp.

What is the difference & how do they perform?

Fozz

There are 4 variants - but only 3 colours.

How do they perform? Well, differently :)

Gillette 7 O Clock Super Stainless Blades (Green) (Russia)
Gillette 7 O Clock PermaSharp Blades (Green) (India)
Gillette 7 O Clock SharpEdge Blades (Yellow) (India)
Gillette 7 O Clock Super Platinum Blades (Black) (India)

None of them jumped out at me as being way better than anything else I tried, particularly for the price differential.

There are in depth blade reviews at ShaveMyFace here including microscope pics of the edges :eek:

hunnymonster said:
There are 4 variants - but only 3 colours.

How do they perform? Well, differently :)

Gillette 7 O Clock Super Stainless Blades (Green) (Russia)
Gillette 7 O Clock PermaSharp Blades (Green) (India)
Gillette 7 O Clock SharpEdge Blades (Yellow) (India)
Gillette 7 O Clock Super Platinum Blades (Black) (India)

None of them jumped out at me as being way better than anything else I tried, particularly for the price differential.

There are in depth blade reviews at ShaveMyFace here including microscope pics of the edges :eek:

That is an excellent link! Thank you hunnymonster.

I think the Yellows are the best of the bunch and made in Russia, they are excellent blades and worth a try but not the cheapest.

I've had a sampler pack for a a few weeks now and I tried both the green and the yellow 7 o'clocks. I didn't think much of the greens. I can't remember why I didn't like them but I decided to not try them again. Yellows seemed fine for me but not special enough for me to use over my Red Personnas.

I wasn't even going to try the blacks as I had not really heard a single good review about them but WOW I'm glad I did as they're the smoothest, closest shavers that I've ever used.

My problem is that for a pack of 100 they cost 3.5x that of my Red Pack Personnas! Does anyone know a reliable, cheap UK source for them?

I've tried all of these so far

Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless, green, Russian. Smooth enough but the least sharp.
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge, yellow, Russian. Smooth and sharp, nice like the Iridiums.
Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp, green, Indian. Smooth and sharp, not much in it against the Yellow Russians.
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum, black, Indian. Very smooth and sharp, probably the best. Expensive.

I have also acquired some Russian Super Platinum blacks with Leningrad and Dubai addresses, haven't tried them yet.

Pete

I've only used the yellows and rate them highly, sort of. As Pete says, they seem similar to Iridiums, but I find the 7 o'clocks irritate my skin if I use them all the time, the same problem I have with Feathers. Can anybody explain the "DO NOT WIPE BLADE" warning to me, by the way?

Arrowhead said:
I've only used the yellows and rate them highly, sort of. As Pete says, they seem similar to Iridiums, but I find the 7 o'clocks irritate my skin if I use them all the time, the same problem I have with Feathers. Can anybody explain the "DO NOT WIPE BLADE" warning to me, by the way?

Pretty much every blade has that on now - presumably because litigious a-holes carelessly wipe and remove finger ends or something.

hunnymonster said:
Arrowhead said:

Pretty much every blade has that on now - presumably because litigious a-holes carelessly wipe and remove finger ends or something.

Merkur and German W/S should print something similar. " Due to possibility of injury Do Not Wipe Blades as they are sharp.... well 'ish!!!"

They could be prosecuted under the Trades Description Act.

Cheers

I actually think it is purley down to the acto of wiping the blade will help dull it.. extremly thin peices of metal and big fat hands dont mix.

Back
Top Bottom