Open or Closed Comb

Hi All

I've not been able to find out much regarding the difference between open and closed comb DE razors - putting aside a preference. What does the comb actually do - ?raise the hair?.

I'm still relatively new and enjoying this 'new' experience with shaving. maybe knowing the difference here can help with a better future choices.

Many thanks

Neil

An open comb could shave a week-old beard more easily.

For day-to-day shaving ... they work the same.

What I like about O/C razors is how they help you to find the right angle.
By this I mean that if your angle is too shallow you get tell-tale lather "tracks" left behind after the razor has passed and if too wide then you don't get a shave - it's infallible!:huh:
Also because there is no safety bar in front to push away the lather there is still lube on face at the point where blade meets flesh.
It's nice to know that.

SirPrize said:

What I like about O/C razors is how they help you to find the right angle.
By this I mean that if your angle is too shallow you get tell-tale lather "tracks" left behind after the razor has passed and if too wide then you don't get a shave - it's infallible!:huh:
Also because there is no safety bar in front to push away the lather there is still lube on face at the point where blade meets flesh.
It's nice to know that.

Great observation on the lather still being left on the face at the point of contact. I never thought of that, nor have I read it anywhere else. very good!!! Really.

SirPrize said:

In addition to the above the safety bar also seems to 'flatten' my hair before the blade can cut it. I get much closer shaves from an open comb, although they are still a relatively new experience to me.

Regards

Jules

YorkNeil said:
Hi All

I've not been able to find out much regarding the difference between open and closed comb DE razors - putting aside a preference. What does the comb actually do - ?raise the hair?.

Many thanks

Neil

Hi Neil,

Most of the fixed head non OC type razors I've shaved with seem to have been preset around the #5-6 on the Gillette adjustable scale. If you want a more aggressive razor, then either an adjustable or an OC type would do the trick.

Some OC types are as mild as the fixed head safety bar versions, but other open combs can have quite a bite....sometimes feeling like a solid #9 of that scale I mentioned.

To speak in general terms, an OC razor can shave closer that the other kind of fixed head razor. If you don't want to use an adjustable and want lots of bite, there's some OC types that'll take you off the scale.....heh. That's what open combs do best, IF they fit right.

Martin

dodgy said:
Some OC types are as mild as the fixed head safety bar versions, but other open combs can have quite a bite....
Martin

I once had an original Muhle O/C which was a vicious little beast, but then found the Merk O/C to be a much nicer shave and have used one ever since.
I hope to get a Muhle R102 shortly - the acrylic handled new R41.
The best razor I ever used was the Eclipse Red Ring that I once had on loan from Antdad, and the new R41 seems to be a dead ringer for this excellent piece of kit.
Photo of Eclipse Red Ring attached.

Used one of the Gillette ABC razors today , the shell pattern. It's an OC and very light. (Used a red Personna in it.) For a very, very light weight Gillette it gives an almost BBS in two passes. I'm alway amazed at what this small and this old of a razor can do.
(yes, it is better looking than the '04 J too!)
Ps you really can't call it aggressive because it really very mild but it shaves better than a 41R! Couldn't cut myself with it even if I tried.

Thanks Chaps

Sounds like my bathroom is going to get just a little more crowded. Now any ideas how to get stuff past the good lady then convince her it was always there:angel:

YorkNeil said:
Thanks Chaps

Sounds like my bathroom is going to get just a little more crowded. Now any ideas how to get stuff past the good lady then convince her it was always there:angel:

"It was a bargain, Luv. Twenny quid. Couldn't pass it up".

Seriously. Had a conversation with my own T&S about this type of thing a couple of years ago. It went along the lines of "When you start whittling down your shoe collection, I'll do the same with the razors.".

Jules

Back
Top Bottom