Open comb Gillettte

Hello Gents, I have an open comb gillette tech that i use sometimes, but the bigger tooth at the corners, are slightly bent inwards, whats the best way to restore it? and also recently in a car boot sale i bought a gillette aristocrat(i think) i done all the usual cleaning(soak in hot water with fairy liquid, brush with tooth paste then sterilised with dettol-water solution then surgical spirit) but still looks dirty, so is it a write off or could be saved? if so what other cleaning techniques i should follow?
thanks alot

Don't know about the teeth on the o/c but with the adjustable, I'd get it replated. £15-£25 depending on whether you want nickel or gold/silver, plus postage each way.

NotTheStig said:
Don't know about the teeth on the o/c but with the adjustable, I'd get it replated. £15-£25 depending on whether you want nickel or gold/silver, plus postage each way.
sounds good but i mostly use straight razor, if i was to use it more, i would get it plated.

Sezer74 said:
i bought a gillette aristocrat(i think) i done all the usual cleaning(soak in hot water with fairy liquid, brush with tooth paste then sterilised with dettol-water solution then surgical spirit) but still looks dirty, so is it a write off or could be saved? if so what other cleaning techniques i should follow?
thanks alot

Hi there,

Now if your razor is gold colored you really can't use any sorta polish to make it shine right up. If it's a silver colored version, either nickel, silver or rhodium, then I would suggest you purchase a tube of Maas polish. It's available at one of the stores in the UK (can't remember which one), and no need to order it online. I use the lavender scented version.

Over the years I've shined up lots of razors, and it takes a good polish to really get off the built up oxidation (or tarnish) and dirt. Toothpaste and dishwashing soap is fine for a light clean up, but it only goes so far.

I'd bet that will do the trick for you,

Martin

Straighten the teeth with a pair of needle nose pliers and some patience, take it slowly and they will go back to where they were, make sure they're properly straight. Get hold of a vice to make the job easier.

Shave very carefully with the restored razor, teeth that are still slightly bent can mean nicked skin, but it's a problem that has been rectified before so I'm sure you'll do fine.

dodgy said:
If it's a silver colored version, either nickel, silver or rhodium, then I would suggest you purchase a tube of Maas polish. It's available at one of the stores in the UK (can't remember which one), and no need to order it online.

Lakeland stock Maas.

I couldn't disagree more, if they are slightly bent inwards they won't really be interfering with blade alignment or your shave.

Personally I wouldn't touch OC teeth without the application of some heat and those wide end teeth are particularly tough to shift.

antdad said:
Personally I wouldn't touch OC teeth without the application of some heat and those wide end teeth are particularly tough to shift.

Yep, my take as well,

Never tried straightening teeth but I've seen lots of posts about it. It's usually very difficult to make something right, with the teeth often breaking and messing up the razor even more.

As to the OP: If you try it, be as delicate as possible and don't try and rush things. Sounds like the Canuck has had some positive results, which is good to know.

I find that this works if you have another similar Gillette. I take the comb of the aligned one and gingerly fit it into the comb of the misaligned one and 'Wiggle' very lightly.
Start at the base of the teeth and move forward. then again I might have just been lucky.

Thanks alot gents, all the suggestions much appreciated but i decided to leave it alone just incase i ruin it, doesn't sound like an easy job also i don't have another same razor to use as a guide so better leave as is
thanks alot

Back
Top Bottom