Oops!!!

I'm sure I'm not the first and I won't be the last to mess up with a dremel.

I made a new set of scales today and made the fatal error of thinking might as well give a final polish with my dremel which I normally wouldn't do!! The result of course was a slip and I've knocked a chip out of my razor.

Is it worth trying to repair this razor with my hones? if so how do I go about it.

I've got a DMT D8c and 1000, 3000, 5000, 8000 & 12000 Naniwa hones. Do I breadknife it on my DMT to remove the chip then tape it to set the bevel with my 1000??

I don't mind it being a lot of work to do if it's repairable it will teach me to not be so careless in the future :eek:

Fwc8Sr4.jpg

SI8bGhZ.jpg

Sounds like a good plan to me, i got the white Bengall in my avatar with a similar chip(prob a bit bigger), and carried out the process mentioned, it's now my favourite razor. So go for it;)

I think I've got this sorted now I took the chip out by honing at 30 degre
e angle as suggested on another forum I then taped it and set the bevel with my 1000 once that was done went through the progression of 3000. 5000. 8000. and finally 12000. the razor appears to be honed correctly passes HHT no problem I will give it a test shave tomorrow to see how it is.

Here is a before and after shot.

SI8bGhZ.jpg

jSfiviM.jpg

0Zr9vSe.jpg

Last edited:
Photos were taken with a sigma macro on my Nikon D800 they are actually not very close compared to what can get as I have a microscope optic I can attach to my lens that I use for more extreme macro . I should probably give that a go sometime to see just how bad my honing really is
I actually got round to trying a shave with this razor today and I've impressed myself how good it was so I'm really pleased I didn't just bin it now.

LcFIetO.jpg
This is a photo of my D300 with my macro and some extension tubes you can just see a weevil that I'm photographing in front of it. For the razor photos I just hand held my camera this setup seemed to be a bit overkill

I absolutely love your positive attitude and end result. I am afraid I would have binned it and had a real sulk for days. Mind you I am not capable of fixing it.

Back
Top Bottom