Nowill restoration

I don't usually have the before photos of razors that I restore but this one is different because it's just such a beautiful piece that I want to record each step. The only photo so far is from Ebay but I will add others along the way.

For now, I would appreciate any advice on cleaning the scales - they are bone (I think) with what appear to be silver inlays. There's years of accumulated dirt on and in them and the pivot is very loose. However, apart from a small fracture at the wedge end they seem to be intact. I will try and keep the original washers.

I've done some work over the weekend and it's just about ready for honing now. The scales had 130 plus years of grime on them, but a good soaking and tooth brush got rid of most of it. I could have carried on sanding back to a much lighter colour but preferred to keep some of the signs of age.

The blade is a full 7/8" and is showing signs of age with pitting on the tang but not too much on the blade and nothing that will affect the edge. Again, I didn't attempt to take this too far.

I ended up making some domed washers rather than use the originals.

I really like that too, Rob. What you might call a sympathetic restoration and looks much the better for its signs of age.

Thanks chaps.

Jamie, the scales are either bone or maybe ivory - given the amount of work that went into the inlays, you would think that ivory would be preferred over bone. To be honest, I could have done the hot pin test but I've never done it before and I decided that I didn't really need to know anyway.

Edit. Forgot to add that I've just honed it and it took a very small be even bevel that to my thumb test (after 30 linen and 70 leather) feels well sharp enough to shave with.

Back
Top Bottom