Nikon D40 smudge wont go [now sorted]

I have a problem with my trusty Nikon d40. There is a smudge on all pictures and no amount of cleaning on the lens or inside seems to shift it I'm guessing there is something wrong with the CCD but any advice as to how it may be sorted gratefully received.

I don't need high Mega Pixels but it looks like I am going to have to replace it the camera. Since it gets almost daily use its done me well lasting 5 years and I like Nikon but I'm seeing VR and non VR kit camera but I don't know what the difference is.

Could anyone explain?

RE: Nikon D40 smudge wont go

Dobbo25 said:
Stupid question but is the smudge visible all through the aperture range?

No, it's not stupid at all. If it's dirt on the sensor, it's more likely to show up at smaller apertures (f11-f22) than wider ones.

Ian

IanM said:
Dobbo25 said:
Stupid question but is the smudge visible all through the aperture range?

No, it's not stupid at all. If it's dirt on the sensor, it's more likely to show up at smaller apertures (f11-f22) than wider ones.

Ian
The reason I asked is that I have come across lenses that have had mildew on the inside. If the mildew was at the edge of the lens and you used a wide aperture it was visible, a smaller aperture and you could get away with it.
I'm sure the camera and lens have been properly stored but, you never know :)

yep its on all most pronounced on the f/14 http://i50.tinypic.com/1z6ul94.jpg
while its blurry at f/8 http://i50.tinypic.com/35029zb.jpg

EDIT: changed for IMG tags to links so you can see it without it spanning too large

Dirt/dust on the sensor. I see it on almost a daily basis. Get the sensor cleaned, or if you're confident enough you can buy cleaning swabs and do it yourself.

Ian

Thanks guys, just Googled how to get at the sensor, spotted the offending dust particle and with a swift blow all is good again.

So I guess I won't be needing to buy a new camera now.

Not sure if I'm happy about that or not.

Re: Nikon D40 smudge wont go

Looks like dirt on the sensor to me too.

I cleaned my sensor on my 400D once with a cheap kit but was nervous about it, I never made a really good job of it. You can buy good cleaning kits like an Arctic Butterfly for about £100.00, which is worthwhile if you change lenses a lot in dirty places, that's what I use now.
A lot of independent camera shops will do it for you for a fee of about £40.00.

I don't think I need to swab the sensor now, I have just one lens (the one that came with the camera) so it rarely ever comes off the body and the quick blow has dislodged the offending particle.

Re: Nikon D40 smudge wont go

Good strategy with the blower but never use anything in contact with the sensor that isn't designed for sensor cleaning. Visible Dust and Eclipse are good brands with useful websites.

Nikon D40 smudge wont go

This prompted me to look at the instructions for the cleaning setting on my Sony DSLR. In case this helps it states to place it in cleaning mode, take off the lens. Turn the camera facing downwards and use a blower to displace any dust. It states NOT to place the blower past the lens mount. Seems to be something that you only do when it needs doing though. I regularly use a blower with the lens off and also wipe the lens with a cloth which is kept only for the camera. All my lenses have UV filters fitted too. I stay well away from the sensor.

My D40 has outlived other more expensive cameras I've passed on to the kids. I use it with 18-55 and 55-200 zooms. Good condition second hand must be great buys now. Together with a Nikon Coolpix 6000 I'm sorted. Never even bother to look at what's around now. Glad the problem was resolved.

Nikon D40 smudge wont go

If you're unhappy going inside the body - go to a reputable dealer for a sensor clean, although tbh it's not hard.
I had a nasty smudge on a D300 I got off eBay and it took me about 5 minutes to get it clean :)

Back
Top Bottom