New wooden blanks for future projects.

I just finished cutting these lovely blanks I kindly recieved from Bill AKA Beejay, they came in a few lenghts all about 160mm X 30mmX30mm, I cut them back to 4mm each, I got a set from every blank, but I managed to get three sets from the black American Walnut, the woods are all quite lovely looking, but to me there a two which stand out stand out from the rest the grade A Cocobolo and the Welsh Yew, but on saying that they will all make fine custom scales for a project or two for me in the future, being 4mm this allows me to work on them so I can take them back a little, only trouble I had was they were quite difficult to put through a table saw, in fact if health and safety saw me they would have thrown the book at me, hopefully now I can come across the right blade to use them, having put out on some nickel silver bar and stainless steel washers I suppose now it's a waiting game, because I wont just use any razor, it would have to be a bit special.

Jamie.

001-1.jpg

Nice!

I am about to get some blanks in for a couple of blades I will be doing, that Yew looks lovely.
I normally get my wood from http://www.exotichardwoodsukltd.com/ their pen blanks come in at 6" which is handy.

Is Bill a supplier or was it just a favour?

Cheers

shanky887614 said:
Jason1wood said:
Excuse my ignorance but what are these going to be, scales?

Is this razor related?

Sorry but I'm still learning! Haha

look at second post, seems they are going to be made into scales

I know he said scales but I didn't know what "scales" were!

I have an idea now, is it a razor handle?

John Boddy at Borough bridge in North Yorkshire have a great selection of exotic timber as well....If you like timber that place is a must.................I could spend hours in the Timber shed........in fact I have done in the past....

GOLDCREST said:
John Boddy at Borough bridge in North Yorkshire have a great selection of exotic timber as well....If you like timber that place is a must.................I could spend hours in the Timber shed........in fact I have done in the past....

I'm affraid William that if I went inside that shed I may never come out again.:icon_biggrin:

Regards Jamie

NOTSHARP said:
Do you stabilise your scales Jamie ?

Steve

Hi, Steve not really because razor scales very rarely get wet and these hardwoods look better with a natural wax or oil finish, unlike a lot of knife blanks that need that extra level of hardness and toughness due to their use.

Regards Jamie.

GOLDCREST said:

Is that information up to date, William? Last time I was there maybe two years ago they'd killed that side of the business :huh:

Yep, good selection of scale material Jamie, the cocobolo in particular if you like that sort of thing. Laburnum is nice stuff - made a catapult from some of that when I was a kid ;) What little I've got is cross cut for oyster veneers. You'll probably get away with 2mm with the lignum and the cocobolo, and I agree about stabilisation or lack of it.

[Little edit]: Health and safety hat on now - I'd make up a jig for ripping short pieces if I were you. A block plane with practically no mouth should do the trick for the final thicknessing - you know that - but if the exotics play up try this: set a microbevel on the wrong side of the blade with your finest finisher at about 5 degrees. So small that it's barely there at all, maybe half a dozen little circles and your done. Works like magic, usually.

Back
Top Bottom