New Lens Advice Needed

I agree with Shrink. You'l love this lens. I used it with a 350D and found it so good on the 450D that I sold my Mamiya 645 gear (645 Pro, 35mm, 45mm, 55mm, 80mm, 150mm, 210mm). Forget the negative reviews. This lens has no issues that aren't easlily fixed in lightroom or DPP.
Enjoy your photography !

well said....

yes you can worry about C/A, lens distortion and saturation loss... all lenses suffer all of these to some extent. Whats more important is that you'll have a sharp lens thats useful over a wide range on a crop body camera. 17mm will give you decent wide angle and 85mm on a crop body will give you reasonably reach. The rest can be fixed very quickly and easily in photoshop and you'll end up with great photos.

whats better... having a bunch of unbelievably good prime lenses, or actually getting the shot instead of missing it while changing lens.

cant beat a good lens in a useful range.

on my 5D i use a 24-105 which occupies a similar range to the 17-85. Its never off my camera

Well the way i looked at it as well the lens has been around for a fair amount of time and is still sold and sold with camera bundles. So it has stood the test of time, and as you say prime lenses have their place but sometimes you need to pull your subject closer. And I can't run that fast these days, so the help will be good........ :lol: :lol:.
Looking forward to playing with it, should be here in time for the weekend. I will post some when I get some good enough to let you all see.......... :oops: :oops:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/hansjuul/5673971286/in/pool-10915400@N00/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.flickr.com/photos/hansjuul/5 ... 15400@N00/</a><!-- m -->

flick through these.. some great photos taken on that lens

Remember that zoom lenses aren't just for bringing your subject closer when you're stood in a fixed position.

Take two pictures with the same framing, taken from different distances using different focal lengths. The perspective is different due to your distance. Near subjects appear much bigger than distant subjects (when you are nearer to the foreground object and using a wider lens to frame). When your distance is further away and you zoom in to get the same framing - the objects will appear much similar in size. This is not due to the lens however - it's due to your distance, and you're using the lens to "crop" to the desired framing.

This is why headshots look more flattering using a longer lens - the nose is not that much further away than the ears because you have to stand further back. With a wide lens you have to get much closer to the subject to get the same framing, then the nose looks massive (it's much closer to you now than their ears) and the subjects ears disappear behind the sides of their head.

This is why I used to teach my students to start out with primes. Smaller, lighter, sharper, wider apertures lets more light in and creates narrow depth of field if you want it. Use your legs to zoom, so you see how distance affects perspective. Only change lenses to achieve the desired crop.

This is what I like to do: Use your legs to move into position so you get your desired perspective (relative size of foreground and background objects). Then, and only then, choose your focal length to achieve the framing you want.

Try it!

John

Back
Top Bottom