new brush shedding hair

Yesterday I got a new EJ Pure Badger brush as a gift. Thought I'd give it a go last night.

Soaked the brush in warm water before the lathering process. Squeezed it out and gave it a few 'flicks' to remove the remainder.

During the lathering process there were hairs in the bowl and when I was putting the lather on my face I got quite a few hairs stuck to me.

After shaving, I cleaned the brush under clear water and it was obvious that a few more hairs were 'loose' and could be removed.

Is this typical for a new PB brush?

Thanks guys (from a relative noob)

Not to worry, it´s normal behavior. You can infact comb the brush (when dry) and get out hairs so you don´t get them when lathering. A brush can lose hair for some time when new (the denser a brush is the more hair it can lose, also depending on techinque used for the knot). On the other hand some EJ brushes have been known to lose hair, so if it keeps on losing a lot of hair, I would try and talk with the vendor or EJ.

Many brushes shed a few hairs for quite a long time. I once went completely through all the brushes I had bought for my Fido's Shaving Brush Blog some time after I had used all them, carefully combing through the hair with a fine comb. I was surprised by just how many hairs still came out of many brushes. Brush makers do seek to remove loose hairs but it is inevitable that some still remain. Most brushes will settle down. If after regular use, a brush starts to shed which had not done so before, it may be down to misuse of the brush. There is much discussion about this issue on the forums as any google search will reveal. My own experience with EJ brushes has been very good. Get a comb to it - gently - then give it more time to settle down.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=shaving+brush+shedding&aq=f&aqi=g-v1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=4506720e6bf81a2c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy&hl ... 0e6bf81a2c</a><!-- m -->

Thanks chaps.

Will wait for it to be fully dry and give the 'little fella' a comb through. I'll use it again tomorrow and see how it goes.

Just not that pleasant trying to shave with hairs stuck to your mouth, cheek,chin.

Back
Top Bottom