New badger: help needed

I just got my EJ best badger yesterday. It says it doesn't need boiling as it is already sterilised. Is there anything I should do to prepare it before its first venture into the foamy stuff?

Thanks in advance

Not really. Best prep for a new brush is just to lather up... first couple won't be great, and then they'll get better over the next few shaves.

You don't have to shave with the resultant foam of course, you can just sit there practice lathering in front of the telly, bin the foam, rinse the brush and start again. Speeds up the breaking in process.

Some say palm lathering breaks it in quicker... can't say I've ever noticed, but breaking a brush in isn't hard. It's pretty useable right now to be honest.

I normally give mine a lathering just to make sure that all the water runs clear. My semogues made grey lather so I do it all the time with all my new brushes now.

After that, you can just use it.

Theres nothing stopping you using this right out of the box.

I like to give a new brush a short (2-3 minute) soak in a solution of 9 parts warm (not hot) water to 1 part white spirit vinegar (not malt, wine, cider or any other sort). Rinse thoroughly in clean water and do the test lathers mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom