My straight experience (6 months on) - UPDATE

2.5 months on

This might sound weird, but after last weeks disaster with a DE. (made a right mess of my face with an Adjustable set at 3-4)
I can honestly say that I'm now more confortable with most of my straights (framebacks excluded), than with a DE.
The simple fact of actually seeing where the blade is, and at what angle, is reassuring in some way.

My techniques have improved, do use 2 hands for some of the work, can now identify what I like in a straight.
(also the reason the Gotta got sold, I think it lacks heft or rigidity, or something..), Improved my prep.

I can now master a DFS without effort, and 95% of the time I get BBS without hassle.
My techniques are somewhat unorthodox (I have a weird way of holding the razor), but it works for me.

For those that are still not there, I commend your persistance (you know who you are!), it will come, believe you me!

One thing that might have been the reason is that after a week or so, I decided no more touch ups with a DE, something that not everyone is able to do due to work obligations.

So for those still in murky territory on the straight shaving, your time will come, be it sooner or later :D
Find out what you're comfortable with, not all razors are good for everyone, not all techniques are either.

This is my experience, as they say on the interwebs, YMMV!

Max

P.s. This doesn't mean I'm giving up DEs completely, as I'd like to keep having a go now and then, but I've moved to a straight for the sure-bet shave.

P.p.s.: Thanks to Andy and Neil for all the work they have done for me over these last months, and a special thank you to Mikael, who got me into this mess in the first place!

Re: My straight experience (2.5 months on)

Nice one Max, this is very reassuring, though I am amazed you find straights easier to use that DEs. I can see your reasoning though and perhaps that time will come for me.

I had a really good shave today and am feeling much more upbeat about things (yes I assume I'm one of the chaps here you were meaning to encourage!) I employed some skin stretching and found that by doing so I could eliminate shaving on my jawline altogether keeping most of the areas flat. The chin is fine too though I keep missing a little bit underneath. Actually the trickiest bits now are the edges of my neck and my upper lip. Plus of course the challenge of going ATG but that's getting there too. I'll copy this to my shaving thread as just realised I've just taken over your post!!! :oops:

Nice to hear your thoughts Max, it makes me want to try one but I don't think I'm ready just yet.

In the mean while, you need to sell me that razor (you know which one I'm talking about!!!)

Cheers Max, you seem to have started a trend here and we (straight shavers) prob. have doubled our numbers in a couple of months only :D And I agree with you, some areas are much easier to reach and shave with a cut throat blade/tip, for me anyhow and if I get a nick I can shave around it very close and get a good shave despite the nick.

Thanks for the kind words Max.

After a year of this cut throat business, I concur with pretty much everything that Max says, and by and large the DEs have fallen into disuse. I doubt whether I used a safety razor more than two dozen times in the course of 2010, and although I still find them very easy to use, the results no longer cut the mustard for me.

One thing I also forgot to add in my evaluation, the thing that makes straight shaving easier, less combos.
  • With DEs, you have to find the right blade/DE combo that works, that in itself can be a chore.
    With a straight, it either works for you, or it doesn't, no pissing about.[/list:u]
    I know personally I prefer straights with less flex, so some just don't cut the mustard for me.*

I in no way want to make believe that I detain ultimate knowledge, I'm a beginner, just like a lot of you, I've got maybe a 1 month head start :D

Max

*(c) Arrowhead

I was str8 razor shaving for 8 months before I had to sell all my fancy razors n high quality strops to pay bills..now that I made my own custom table strops..3 of em and lurking around for the right razors again

Good stuff Max! For a beginner like myself I find
it very encouraging to read.
I'm about a month in and it is getting easier.
I totally agree with cutting out the DE touch ups.

I've just had another shave, this time with my new toy that came from Neil :D
Every time I have a new straight, we need to get acquainted, it's sort of like a peace agreement. "You don't make me bleed ok?"

I've now grown so accustomed to straight shaving, that I'd probably have a hard time if I picked up a DE tomorrow.
I did consider it a few times this week to be quicker, but then I just go for a straight I know and I get a DFS just as quick as with a DE.
(and I feel I'm less likely to nick myself with a straight I know, than a DE) I don't ever use an unknown straight when in a rush.

So keep going guys, I think my peak from when I felt more comfortable with a straight than a DE,came probably around 2 months in, maybe a bit more.
You won't know you've reached that point, until you're way past it, and think about picking up a DE, and you end up going for a straight anyway.

That's the point where you can say "I'm more comfortable with a straight than with a DE"

Good luck, and keep at it!

Max

FrenchBlade said:
I've just had another shave, this time with my new toy that came from Neil :D
Every time I have a new straight, we need to get acquainted, it's sort of like a peace agreement. "You don't make me bleed ok?"

I've now grown so accustomed to straight shaving, that I'd probably have a hard time if I picked up a DE tomorrow.
I did consider it a few times this week to be quicker, but then I just go for a straight I know and I get a DFS just as quick as with a DE.
(and I feel I'm less likely to nick myself with a straight I know, than a DE) I don't ever use an unknown straight when in a rush.

So keep going guys, I think my peak from when I felt more comfortable with a straight than a DE,came probably around 2 months in, maybe a bit more.
You won't know you've reached that point, until you're way past it, and think about picking up a DE, and you end up going for a straight anyway.

That's the point where you can say "I'm more comfortable with a straight than with a DE"

Good luck, and keep at it!

Max

Thanks for these updates Max. Very encouraging. I am about four shaves in and can relate to your commrnts. Managed to nick the lobe of my ear last night but not put off.

One of the main attractions for me is the sheer beauty of the straight razors. Especially the vintage ones which have a bit of history as well.

Re: My straight experience (3.5 months on)

Another month has gone by since I started this thread.. it's now 3.5 months since I started straight shaving.

Nothing much has changed, except that straight shaving has become very natural to me, maybe not second nature yet, but I spend very little time "thinking"
I haven't touched a DE in months, tried a few shavettes that actually worked quite well for me. (I'd advice not to try before you're comfortable with a straight)

My collection is growing, by next week I should be at 10-11 shave-readys, yes, SRAD has kicked in big time. Although I haven't bought a straight in a while.
(last one was over 3 weeks ago, feels like months!) All straights are different, some are really mild, others more agressive.
2 kinds of straights still on my "wish list", a barbers notch, and a spike/square point, preferably English or US. (since I don't have any)

I can now probably shave almost as quick as I can with a DE/Cartridge, without my face looking like a warzone. The time is in the stropping and cleaning up.
Razor rash is almost gone now, it used to be bad in the begininning, changing angles, good prep, and less pressure has resolved that.
I have also cut Alum completely out of my routine, only use styptic when necessary, which is very rare.

One thing that's vital with straight shaving, is stropping at first my stropping was lousy, and I still don't think it's perfect, but good stropping is half the shave.
My shaving has improved now I got a good strop, nice and wide, which avoids x-pattern stropping (which I hate)

A few questions about caring for a straight have come up, here's my technique..
(yours might be different, and just as good!)

• Wipe blade of oil residue.
  • 20-25 laps stropping before
  • Shave
  • Rince, clean, wipe (with TP)
  • 5 laps
  • Dry on central heating radiator for an hour or 2 (never get's above 40 degrees)
  • Spread some care oil (really thin!) on the blade.
  • Wipe excess oil with TP.[/list:u]

• Even if you wipe the excess oil with TP (no pressure), it will leave a thin film on the metal, which is enough.
    Only put care oil on a completely dry straight, otherwise you "lock-in" humidity. (between the blade and the oil)

Not much more advice to give, then again, still new at this game!

For those still at it, keep on trucking, your :idea: Eureka! :idea: moment will come :p
    For those that want to get into this game, beware, it's highly addictive, and don't buy your first straight of eBay.

Max

Re: My straight experience (3.5 months on)

FrenchBlade said:
For those still at it, keep on trucking, your :idea: Eureka! :idea: moment will come :p
For those that want to get into this game, beware, it's highly addictive, and don't buy your first straight of eBay.

Max

Another good post Max. Encouraging for the ones following your steps.

I just have one straight at the moment. Its a 7/16 but I intend to buy a 5/8 from Neil when he stocks up his bargin basement again.

I am rotating the straight with my Auto Strop and Ever Ready but prefer the straight. I can shave now without cuts (usually) and am getting pretty close all over apart from below the jaw line.

Re: My straight experience (6 months on)

A bit of an update.. it's now been 6 months since I've started this lark.

I've tried a lot of different straights (15-20 ish), and culled down to 3-4 that I use regularly. (out of about 10 I have)
Still one or 2 types I want to try, including a sheffield wedge, which is going to Neil soon for honing.

Progress is almost non existant, I get consistently good shaves, and just have one spot on the chin which is hard to get perfect.
(but I can't get it perfect with a DE or cart either, so...)
I shave only with my right hand, stopped trying left hand shaving, just doesn't work for me.

I've culled software wise too, only a few bits in my rotation, things are really settling down.

My shaves are very confortable, and rarely get the odd weeper. (which can be fixed with alum)
I did have a quick flash back to a DE for a week a while back, and I got a lot more razor burn from one, so straights is really my thing.

I've stopped the whole cleaning ritual with oil etc.. the razors get rinsed and wiped with TP then left out on the window sill for a few hours. (20-25 degrees outside)
I've also given up trying every kind of soap under the sun, I have a few that work for me, and leave it at that.
Just one brush in my rotation, I have a few more, but never use them.
AS/ASB, the same, 2/3 in my rotation, the rest just doesn't get used anymore.

So, yeah, I'm becoming a bore!

Max

So yes, I think I'm settled, I'll continue trying a few straights, but will apply the 1 in one out rule on them. (or try anyway!)

Back
Top Bottom