Moon photo query

Remember that the moon is a rock just like earth, and that it's being hit by the sun (that's why we can see it!)

So, it's actually a lot brighter than you would think!

Use manual mode, maybe spot meter the moon and open up a stop. A long lens/smaller sensor/teleconverter are your friends.

I would agree - keep exposure time as low as possible, otherwise you'll start to get noise and other artefacts.

For a really nice pic - try it with some cloud partially over it and some trees in the foreground. Or with a plane flying across it. Or during dusk when then is still some blue in the sky.

John

Might be a bit late!

This is how I done my moon shots.

Tripod, shutter release trigger or self timer.

For the focus, use live and zoom in to fine tweak your manual focus, it really helps. Live view is also good for this as it uses the mirror lock function which will take out any vibration of the mirror flicking (which only really applies when using long lens')

use your lowest ISO, the moon is extremely bright, (I have taken pictures at 1/2000 before.)

with 300mm you will be at F5.6 with that lens, which can be a bit soft, I would push it up to F8. You will also have to crop in, which should be ok al long as you dont need any large prints etc.

experiment with shutter speed starting off low about 1/100 and adjusting depending on what exposure you get.

Moon bird by Robbo1985, on Flickr

[attachment=0][attachment=1][attachment=2]Not mine but a mates dad's I can find out what he used to take these with.

Attachments

• Moon Mid 1.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 10
  • Moon South 3.jpg
  • moon stitch 2 after PShop.jpg
Back
Top Bottom