Merkur 37c slantbar. Less passes?

Hello folks,

It's taken me awhile, but i think i finally have got the slant tamed. One thing puzzles me. I have read that some folk are able to get BBS results with just 2 passes. For me the results and amount of passes are exactly the same with the slant as they are with the 34c HD. I was under the impression that a slant is more effcient, but this doesn't seem to be the case for me.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Many thanks.

I'm the same as you mate. I still do a three pass shave to get a BBS, on the odd occasion that I use my slant. Still do a three pass shave with my single edge Schicks too.

Slant is the most efficient razor, yes. BUT - that's when it's about a fast stubble removal. I mean - you can mow down a week's growth in one pass and look presentable. A few touch ups and you're good to go, looking clean shaven. However, to achieve BBS - one that passes the cotton-pad test, yes, you still need about three passes. Effortless ones though.

I'm 2 passes and touch ups with my Barber Pole slant - really tough bristles, so if i skimp on the pre-prep the difference is noticeable.

Great razor.

Thanks for the replies. I must be using the slant incorrectly then, because to me it isn't efficient, merely more aggressive. I have to work just as hard with it as i do the 34c to get a BBS shave. Out of the two razors, i prefer the 34c, simply because it feels more comfortable and i don't worry that it may just turn around and bite me, lol

Check the blade is in straight. I read a neat trick to hold the ends of the blade and the end of the head as you tighten up to keep it in line. For me a sharp blade such as Perma-Sharp or 7'0'Clock Yellow works better. There are a couple of You Tube Slant videos worth watching; once I got my angle correct it was milder than my Edwin Jagger.

Keep persevering. It's worth it.

I think I would normally need 3 passes. I have only used mine once so far and that was an evening shave 12 hours after I had shaved that morning. I did a 2 pass shave then, but that's because I skipped the WTG pass.
I actually found the 37c an easier shave than the 34c. They are both new razors to me, and I have only used them once so far, but the 34c was hard work as it was too mild for me.

I'm with Helveticum on this, it's something I use to remove a few days stubble, it's good at that first pass, better than a 34.
I still need to shave as much with a 37 as I do with a 34 to get really smooth... number of passes is sort of missing the point.

I can see exactly what you're saying though Voltstick, the 37 is not a daily shave for me and never will be, I'm more comfortable with a 34 for everyday (slightly) careless shaves... the slant only comes out when there's big beards about.

I had an experience similar to yours the first time I used it - so maybe try with changing a blade (yellows are a good starting point, or bleue extra) first, and if that doesn't work, just give it some time. I'd have given up on it hasn't there been Martin, our Yankee. Had a second go with his enchanted slant (although it actually is enchanted! nothing is as good) and felt a changed man :) Bought 37c after that and have been using it since until recently when I got a Weber. I must admit that I don't shave daily though, but I probably could as when everything's ok and I'm not experimenting too much there's just no irritation whatsoever. Made me sell many other razors too - Fat Boy, Slim, Aristo to name a few. I just realised that they'd never match 37c.

Back
Top Bottom