Merkur 37C Slant

Good afternoon.

Recently I purchase a slant. I bought it based on many reviews claiming you need less passes with it. I have a fairly coarse beard and always end up doing many passes with my trusty HD.
Well it must be me, but I end up doing more passes with the slant than the HD. It's supposed to slice hairs rather than cut them head on, but it doesn't feel that way to me.

Anyone else had problems with this razor? Any pointers?
Been DE shaving for 5 months now and got the HD down pat.
I'm very confused and frustrated.

Just keep it in a cupboard until the time comes :) It's not a beginner razor for sure. I'm using it now exclusively ever since I've tried it.

What blade are you using in it? Myself, I find that sharper blades such as Gillette Yellows or feathers work best. Others have said the same.

Hax said:
What blade ate you using in it? Myself, I find that sharper blades such as Gillette Yellows or feathers work best. Others have said the same.

I can, in turn, say the opposite - don't mess with Feathers in a slant! 7 o'clocks are fine though.

It's worth persevering with the Slant. Certainly try different blades - I also find that Feathers are very effective.

These days I use a Merkur HD most of the time, but I enjoy using my Slant. I don't find that the Slant necessarily requires fewer passes. For me, its stand-out feature is that it just feels incredibly smooth and effortless at removing the stubble (especially with a Feather).

I used a long handled slant with Feathers for many years with good results. Could be that sometime (hopefully soon) the exact angle and pressure will just "click" for you and things start working. Otherwise, can only suggest that, as so often in wet shaving, the expression YMMV may apply. Could be that it's just not one which may ever gell well with you.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Francorelli said:
These days I use a Merkur HD most of the time, but I enjoy using my Slant. I don't find that the Slant necessarily requires fewer passes.

I'm the same, I find it takes just as many passes, it's just a different feel.
The HD is an extremely efficient razor to start with so it would be pretty amazing if the slant was even more efficient. I find it's about the same...

It might be that you think a slant is less efficient because there's less feel, less feedback. Or it might be like Johnno says and it may just not be the razor for you.

First blade I tried in it was a persona, second blade was an Astra sp. I'm not a beginner to shaving, been shaving for over 20 years. I can get BBS with the slant with no cuts and no burn, but I find it takes more than the HD and it doesn't really feel like it cuts any differently.
What about blade placement? I've read elsewhere debates on how the blade should be correctly seated.

I've never worried about placement - I literally just slap a blade in there.

Like others have said, I don't find the slant to be any quicker than any other razor - I still use three passes, but for me, it's by far the most forgiving razor and if I've managed to irritate my skin with a razor on one day, then it's the slant that I reach for the next day to ensure I don't aggravate things further.

Of course, that's just for me. YMMV ;)

Back
Top Bottom