Merkur 33C

I started out with this razor and like any other Merkur its a great little razor. I would say it is more aggresive than the EJ89 and is not so forgiving. The Gillette 7'o clocks worked very well for me with the 33c.

Nick

My first DE was the Merkur 23c, which is a long handled version of the 33c.

I had two small complaints with the 23, only one of which applies to the 33. Firstly, the handle was a little too long, rendering the entire razor a bit unwieldy. Secondly, it was a little too light for my liking. The 33 will presumably be even lighter, although perhaps the lack of weight will be made up for in manoeuvrability.

I have quite a light beard, but I nonetheless favour heavier razors than the 23, as they seem to offer more consistency of pressure and better feedback on angle.

As far as the blade goes, well, I love an Astra in my black handle SS (as per my sig), but I still haven't quite settled on my favourite blade for the 23c. The lighter Merkurs appear to offer a pretty consistent shave irrespective of the blade you put in them, largely because they are so mild. I suppose it depends on your beard and skin, your technique and the razor you use.

Sorry, that wasn't particularly helpful!

Ken T M said:
My first DE was the Merkur 23c, which is a long handled version of the 33c.

I had two small complaints with the 23, only one of which applies to the 33. Firstly, the handle was a little too long, rendering the entire razor a bit unwieldy. Secondly, it was a little too light for my liking. The 33 will presumably be even lighter, although perhaps the lack of weight will be made up for in manoeuvrability.

I have quite a light beard, but I nonetheless favour heavier razors than the 23, as they seem to offer more consistency of pressure and better feedback on angle.

As far as the blade goes, well, I love an Astra in my black handle SS (as per my sig), but I still haven't quite settled on my favourite blade for the 23c. The lighter Merkurs appear to offer a pretty consistent shave irrespective of the blade you put in them, largely because they are so mild. I suppose it depends on your beard and skin, your technique and the razor you use.

Sorry, that wasn't particularly helpful!

No it was helpful ...thanks :)

SpeedyBabylon5 said:
I started out with this razor and like any other Merkur its a great little razor. I would say it is more aggresive than the EJ89 and is not so forgiving. The Gillette 7'o clocks worked very well for me with the 33c.

Nick

Ok, great...thanks Nick

I have a 33c..in fact its one of my favourite razors...shaving with it all the time at the moment..

Size wise its very similar to the old Gillette tech...but twice as heavy as the alloy tech......I like the size and the weight,its far lighter than for instance the Futur or the 38c Barberpole from the Merkur range...but I personally rather like that.....it feels substantial without feeling too heavy......

Although the heads of the 38c and 33c look identical side by side,the shave of the 33c is milder than its big brother 38c Barberpole....perhaps because of the difference in weight,or maybe because one is a two piece (38c) and the other is a three piece (33c).......the 33c is more aggressive than the tech which it needs to be for my money and has a nice nostalgic feel to it........If you've used a tech....the 33c is an excellent choice for the next stage.....

My blade of choice for the 33c is the Gillette sharpedge (yellow pack)....but this seems to be a forgiving razor for blade choice...most blades I've used in it so far work well.....
for example....Astra sp
Feather
Permasharp
personna ( reds)
Even Wilkinsons,which I can't use in any other razor...give a reasonable shave....

I agree it's a nice little razor, I'd also say that it's a tad light for my tastes but that's not something that will apply to everyone.

Blade? I've had good shaves with 7 o'clock green super stainless, 7 o'clock yellow sharpedge, Gillette Superthin in both the 23C and 33C. I'd recommend any of those.

The lighter Merkurs appear to offer a pretty consistent shave irrespective of the blade you put in them

Agreed, I think as long as you use one of the better quality blades you should get a good result. Blade choice is a very personal thing but you shouldn't go far wrong with those. Astra are probably another good choice.

newageshaver said:
Hi Gents,
Can anyone give me their opinions of this razor and also if any particular blades work especially well with it please?....Thanks for your help.

I typed the razor's name into amazon & it's got quiet a few good comments.Worth a look,I'm thinking of getting one.

My first proper razor was a 33c. In a word, it's great. Not too aggressive, not too mild. It's a great one to learn with.

As for blades, when I had mine, I'd put in anything into it. It's one of those razors that is a good control razor.

I preferred it over my 34c. Not much in it though.

My every day razor is a 33c with 7 o'clock greens. I moved to it after using old Gillette Techs. I prefer it to the Techs. Blades wise I'm a love Gillette 7 o'clocks. I don't get on with the yellows, they leave me feeling a bit raw, 7 o'clock greens are just right for me.

Back
Top Bottom