Martin de Candre: Review

I will not start a separate thread on this, so that all can find the 'reviews' info on MdC in the same place/thread.

My review:

A highly sought after and very much discussed French shaving soap, with hard texture that offers excellent cushion and glide during the shave but at the same time also leaves the skin uniquely well conditioned after it.

1. Packaging / size / appearance:

Large 170gr. glass jar or 50gr (travel size), will last a very long time. Texture is of a hard soap, comes in strong cardboard box and with very thorough packaging from the factory in France. Special (limited edition) white glass versions occasionally, 'unscented' version available readily as well.

2. Price / availability: Very expensive with outrageous shipping costs. It retails at Eur 34 for 170gr. plus Eur 19 p&p for Europe.

3. Scent: Light lavender with mint elements, a scent that reportedly grows on you (and I can confirm that) but also a scent that for some it is a love or hate. Also comes in 'unscented' version that offers the benefit of irritation-free shaves to those who happened to use the standard version and had issues with it.

4. Efficacy / Lather-ability: Very good. Lathers very well, a little goes a long way, offers great cushion and rich lather which is surprising for a veggie soap.

5. Moisturizing /after shave properties: To the undersigned's opinion, there's nothing better out there. Don't know why, but only MdC leaves my face like that after a shave. Full marks here.

6. Quality / overall: A high quality hard soap that offers great shaves and does an excellent job on the skin. A 'must' product for your rotation if of course you can accept the very high price tag.

Summary - N_Architect's verdict:

1. Packaging / size / appearance: 5/5.
2. Price / availability: 3/5.
3. Scent: 5/5.
4. Efficacy / Latherability: 4/5.
5. Moisturizing /after shave properties: 5/5.
6. Quality / overall: 5/5 - Highly recommended.

Show more

Show more

'Unscented' version, travel glass jar (50gr.):

Show more

Show more

This really is THAT good!

I like the scent alot. Herby, medicinal version of lavender.

I was fortunate enough to have a French colleague carry a wooden bowl full back for me. I paid $62.50 for it & it is money very well spent IMO.

Hiya,

After using this soap for 5-6 shaves I have a pretty good handle on it's performance. I have a 50g travel jar that I scooped about half an ounce from. Stuck that to the bottom of a two cup bowl and done deal. It's kinda like a hard putty that's easy to mold.

So it's better than most soaps. Very good slip and cushion and easy to lather. Post shave skin care is fine, although not quite on the same level as MWF. That's it.

Yeah, I'm sorry to say I just don't quite get all the hype. I thought I did at first, but it's not the case after all. Heh, maybe my expectations influenced things initially.

It's as good as PdP and Monsavon and a few others I could mention like Gold Dachs. These are soaps I could easily use every day if needed, and the MdC fits in that group of very good products.

Pricewise, I can't say it's something I could justify. Seems like the product will get used up faster than a hard soap would, but I can't say for sure. Doesn't matter if it lasts forever, since there's nothing to really make it stand out among those other products mentioned above.

I could rattle off 5-6 soaps that work better for me than the Martin de Candre, but it's still nice having that one as a good change of pace thing. Plus, I gotta say it's been a huge relief to finally get that monkey outta the way. Whew!

Martin

I've just finished reviewing a sample of it, here's my summary:

The lack of product, despite the frugal reputation, seems to have hampered my first couple of shaves and only when I boosted the loading area did I get near the legendary performance. I thought that was the answer, but then the final shave let it down. When it was good, it was very good, but there was a lack of consistency.

Fragrance-wise, it's lavender and floral, not my taste, but it's weak to the point of being inoffensive even if you don't like it. Certainly not one to buy if you're looking for a kick.

Slickness really fluctuated. At times excellent and at others I got residue and stickiness. That seems to be something that has come up a few times with my samples, although I don't know why and I can't see a reason for it.

While I had some highs, they were offset by some big lows. Add in the lack of availability and the cost (even if it will last a while) and I have to take a couple of points off.

Based on my experience I wouldn't say it was the greatest (and thankfully Shave Dash saved me buying the entire thing), not even top tier. As with everything in shaving though, your mileage may vary!

Full review here.

Back
Top Bottom