Manufacturing Razors

Ok I am having a moment of madness!

Gillette have stopped making the Fatboy but how easily could you or I reproduce these and makes a modern day version?

Apart from the copyright, could it be done efficiently?

If I am being stupid forgive the ramblings and just let me be.

A - W said:

Gillette have stopped making the Fatboy but how easily could you or I reproduce these and makes a modern day version?

Of course it could. Matter of a price and finding a guy for the job that could be arsed and had access to facilities. Or if you mean on industrial scale - a bit of reverse engineering and there's nothing impossible either. Except for ROI doesn't look too promising for someone to bother.

Helveticum said:
A - W said:

Of course it could. Matter of a price and finding a guy for the job that could be arsed and had access to facilities. Or if you mean on industrial scale - a bit of reverse engineering and there's nothing impossible either. Except for ROI doesn't look too promising for someone to bother.

Yes. Pesky business models, materials costs, and economies of scale do get in the way, don't they.

If it's like the rest of the history of the West Surplus-ing it's unwanted manufacturing equipment to the East. right now there are probably whole old Gillette plants sitting right next to the Denim making machines. And the old Ford stamping machines in Japan or China. And they're probably using them!
Dodgy's vintage blades were probably made on the same machines their using in Russia!

You would have to make millions of them to make them affordable. Period.

NO one makes things in brass anymore. If you wanted to charge $1000 a razor, you may be able to do it in Stainless Steel for a small run of 500-1000 razors.

Razor Emporium said:
NO one makes things in brass anymore.

Fatip :)

Johnus said:
If it's like the rest of the history of the West Surplus-ing it's unwanted manufacturing equipment to the East. right now there are probably whole old Gillette plants sitting right next to the Denim making machines. And the old Ford stamping machines in Japan or China. And they're probably using them!
Dodgy's vintage blades were probably made on the same machines their using in Russia!

Well.. Just thought about it.. If you'd go down that route, get old equimpent and outsource to China/India for production, you'd get.. Parker? :)))

It wouldn't be that difficult for say Jagger to engineer an "Eclipse red ring" style adjustable but there's probably good reason why Gillette style silo door adjustables haven't been attempted...they'd probably retail for £350+ and the market is way too small to justify all those tooling costs.

There are a number of artisan producers in the USA who operate waiting lists, so when they get enough potential buyers they make the razor.

Merkur or Parker probably produce similar razors.

Back
Top Bottom