Made Stands For My Stones.

Today i made 2 stands for my japanese naturals. I found some scrap Jatoba wood (very durable wood) at work and thought it would be nice to use as stands for the stones. Not the easiest wood to work with but it was fun!

DSC02116_zps8ecf9d2a.jpg

DSC02118_zpscbf5e011.jpg

DSC02119_zpsecf1066c.jpg

DSC02120_zps88563546.jpg

Sezer74 said:
Looks good, what are those stones? names? grits? do you use them as a finisher? or substitute to a normal hone like coticule or naniwa or Norton?

Thay are finishing stones that i use with a tomo nagura, but can be used with other naguras to if i wanted to do pre finishing work. Ozuku Asagi and Nakayama Kiita Kan. naturals are not messured in grit, thay go by lvl of hardness, the Nakayama (yellow stone) is around 4,5 in in a 5 of 5 scale and the asagi (grey) is a solid 5.

Hi Magnus, they look good - I need to do something similar for my Nakayama but it's not level on the bottom so it will take cutting out to get it right. Mine is also level 5 hardness - based on the Ebay sellers rating and I'm getting some good results using a progression of naguras and finishing with a tomo.

Out of interest what do you use the Ozuku stone for, that they Nakayama could not do?

UKRob said:
Hi Magnus, they look good - I need to do something similar for my Nakayama but it's not level on the bottom so it will take cutting out to get it right. Mine is also level 5 hardness - based on the Ebay sellers rating and I'm getting some good results using a progression of naguras and finishing with a tomo.

Out of interest what do you use the Ozuku stone for, that they Nakayama could not do?

Thanks Rob! glue the stone with a glue that expands abit if you have a uneven bottom on the stone.

My ozuku is giving me a diffrent edge then the nakayama i have. i like the ozuku abit more. sharper yet smooth.

Mr.Magnus said:
My ozuku is giving me a diffrent edge then the nakayama i have. i like the ozuku abit more. sharper yet smooth.

Now isn't that the best bit of enabling I've had so far this year. I only got the Nakayama at Christmas (from my wife - who thinks I'm nuts for wanting a piece of rock) based on your advice and now you're telling me that there's a better stone?

Where did the Ozuku come from - Ebay again?

UKRob said:
Now isn't that the best bit of enabling I've had so far this year. I only got the Nakayama at Christmas (from my wife - who thinks I'm nuts for wanting a piece of rock) based on your advice and now you're telling me that there's a better stone?

Where did the Ozuku come from - Ebay again?

you need to know that there is always a better stone out there :) the "charm" of a natural stone i guess :)

Back
Top Bottom