Long-term storage of straights

Quick question to those who will probably know this: I'm off to Asia next month, will be taking some (say around a dozen) of my straights.

The rest I intend to leave oiled in this type (see below - right hand side) of sheathes/pouches (I've got one of Neil's', one from TI, the one below from that American artisan leather maker and one Dovo zipped case as shown on the left).

IMG_1683.jpg

Shall I leave them like that or do something else? I've heard leather doesn't get on well with steel, so shall I assume even if the razors are left oiled they will have an issue months later or not?

Shall I wrap them in thin paper and then put them in the pouches?

Thanks guys.

You could allways send them to me and then I'll "store" them for you :D ...

I would say wooden boxes are good (and oiled up in wax papper), cigar boxes would prob be perfect, ceder wood draws out moist and it's antibacterial ...

Properly not the best advice but I would lightly oil the blade and then clingfilm before I put them in the sleeves just to keep them air tight in a worse case scenario

Option B is just to send them all to me for safe keeping
Damn bet to it by mikeal

I bought my first 2 straights recently but haven't gave it a go just yet.

Ballistol is quite good, Neil miller sells the stuff.

Vacuum pouches? You may be able to find out if they would be suitable at one of the upscale sporting goods store. I'm sure that they are often faced with metal storage questions.

Konstantinos it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a few of these for long term use when storing a few razors plus your camera equipment also. I have dealt witth ths company for many years excellent custoner service as well. PS they also sell a few nice Boker straight razors.

Jamie

http://www.heinnie.com/Accessories/Knife-Care/Hydrosorbent-Silica-Gel/Hydrosorbent-SG40/p-93-376-535-3659/
http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Böker-Knives/Razors-&-Accessories/c-1-92-116-785/

Dipesh said:
I bought my first 2 straights recently but haven't gave it a go just yet.

Ballistol is quite good, Neil miller sells the stuff.

Ballistol substitute...... Automatic transmission oil, cheap as chips and does the same job, been using it on my rifles for years.

Honestly, my display razors are just in a glass display box with dessicant(sp?) packs all around. Then again, I live in the desert.

If I lived in a humid climate I would oil the blade, stick it in an air proof container, and put in a handful of dessicant(sp?) packs. At least I think they're called dessicant packs, google is telling me I'm spelling it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom