L'Occitane Shaving Cream

[attachment=13114]

This shaving cream has had mixed reviews, but I bought a tube from a local Debenhams store with the remaining balance of a gift card. So if the cream was like the reviews said, I would not be too out of pocket.

Anyway, I started using L'Occitane CADE shaving cream along with its after shave balm. I lathered with an Edwin Jagger Chatsworth ebony synthetic bristle shaving brush.

The lather was quite rich and had an odd aroma, sort of flowery with oil. When shaving, I used an Edwin Jagger Chatsworth barley razor, with 2 passes, WTG, XTG, and the shave was generally smooth and pleasant. The lather had no breakdown during shaving, which has happened with other brands.

After rinsing there was a slightly moisturised feel, where the cream leaves a slight deposit on the skin after shaving. This lasts throughout most of the day, so the cream may have a built in balm, and when I applied the after shave balm, it felt a bit unnecessary but pleasant to use anyway. The balm can be a bit thin in texture though.

The packaging has a recycled cardboard feel to it, and the printing looks slightly reminiscent of late 1980s new age type packaging, and like it could have been done on a good quality home computer. The tube is plain metal with a small label stuck to it. The end cap is small so the tube has to be left horizontal and cannot be placed vertically, as is more usual with plastic tubes. So a full tube may take up some space, but you can always squirt some into a tub.

A tube key can be used to dispense the amount of cream you need, but you will have to supply your own but L'Occitane do stock them. I used a Crabtree & Evelyn tube key which is free with C&E shaving creams.

Overall, I would say this is not a bad shaving cream, but a bit expensive at £18 per 150g tube. This is double the price of other quality shaving creams for the same weight. So it will be worth looking out for any special offers or price reductions at L'Occitane outlets or stores that sell their products.

Attachments

• L'Occitane CADE.jpg
    L'Occitane CADE.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 20
Great review. :)

I had loads of trouble getting a lather out of Cade shaving cream when I tried it - I did read sometime ago that they were looking to change the formula of it though.

I wonder if it has taken place as it certainly seemed to work well for you.

The Cade ASB is a truly excellent product and is well worth the cash.

Thanks for posting the review up. :)

The cream works but I probably need about twice as much volume-wise as other creams which makes it expensive. The after shave balm is superb though.

Finished my run on this, here's my verdict:

Cade is a type of juniper and the essential oil extracted from it is supposed to offer protection from the elements and moisturisation (as well as healing, disinfecting, insect repelling and anti-allergenic properties).

Not sure if there's a difference between this cream (in the bowl) and the one in the tube, the bowl seems to include the word ‘rich' in the name, where the tube does not.

The fragrance isn't strong, but it's pleasant. Quite sweet but complex, with a woody heart. It's enough to stay with you during the shave but doesn't linger, which is no bad thing (it's not the sort of fragrance I'd want to smell of all day). It's invigorating but would become tiresome if exposed for too long.

Slickness was always good and it seemed to help stave off nicks. As with any product it needed to be paired with a good blade to get the best results. The post shave feel was always good though.

It's not the cheapest product, but it's far from the most expensive either. The bowl seems to offer better value for money. That said, it's also a dense cream so a little goes a long way (I found myself using water to thin it out and it still clogged my blade).

All in all I was very impressed with it and the reputation is well-earned. One to recommend.

Full review here.

Very nice review and one I wholeheartedly agree with. A wonderful cream in every respect of the word. As for the cost, if you can find a L'Occitane outlet (we have one in Cheshire Oaks) you can get it at a really 'happy' price. Use with Cade after shave balm and a wonderful all round experience.

Beautiful review. What a gorgeous product, I m so in love with this cream. The smell, the way it transforms into a rich, oily, dense foam! The ingredients are absorbed by skin, mostly in a dry/mixed skin cases, and it works even hours later after rinsing and drying. Awesome!

Back
Top Bottom