Le Grelot in light horn

After a busy couple of months where I've not been able to get into my workroom, my wife said that this week-end I could spend as much time as I liked in there - joy of joys. here is the first result a decent sized Le Grelot that had a lot of pitting on the spine area. The scales are horn - I'm finding that the new rotary sander enables me to get much thinner scales - look at the tang area and you will see what I mean.

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

Sezer74 said:
How do you clean the pitting? wire brush first? or wet and dry?

Hi Cem. I use wet and dry -starting at 150 grade and working up to 2000. However, the real transformation comes from a polishing compound used on a rotating pad

Nicely done! Does the horn stay strong enough when reducing it to that thickness, or should I say thinness? Some good skill there, one mistake on stuff that thin and it's a bin job. Is it a bench mounted disc sander you use?

daz said:
Nicely done! Does the horn stay strong enough when reducing it to that thickness, or should I say thinness? Some good skill there, one mistake on stuff that thin and it's a bin job. Is it a bench mounted disc sander you use?

Even though the horn looks thin it's about twice the size of some old ivory blades that I have.

The advantage of getting down to this size is that the scales flex (bow out) because of the wedge - this allows the tang area to fit without rubbing against the inside.

I do have a belt sander for shaping the scales once I've cut them out but the starting point is to use a rotary sanding attachment to a drill press - this gets a uniform thickness.

Back
Top Bottom