Knife sharpening advice, please.

Evening all,

I'm assuming that you gents who keep their straight razors deadly sharp, also do the same for your kitchen knives?

I'm looking for a double sided whetstone - I've got a £2.99 special but its quality is a bit suspect and I'd like to replace it with something a little more upmarket.

However, I'm on a budget and don't want to spend more than £30.00.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Jules

I'm not a straight razor user, but do know a bit about sharpening kitchen knives. I am a trained Fishmonger so having a sharp knife is important.

Personally the key is having a good knife in the first place and keeping it sharp. A lot of people will say Carbon Steel is the best, but personally I use good quality Stainless Steel knives, as they do not need quite so much care.

My current kitchen knives at home are all from the Samuel Staniforth Smithfield range, and I find them brilliant as they are very well balanced.

I sharpen my knives with a good quality steel, and always have, but you do need to learn how to use one properly so as to maintain the edge well. A steel will get a kitchen knife as sharp as you need it to be for any job in the kitchen. My wife on the other hand just cannot use a steel, so rather then her just using the knives until they are blunt, and then complaining I got her one of these.

http://www.sheffield-made.com/acatalog/Chantry_Knife_Sharpener.html

I'm quite impressed with it, it does a good job of keeping the knives sharp, now I have trained her to use it on a regular basis.

You could try Axminster power tools website. They have japanese waterstones, and diamond and ceramic as well. I'm not associated with the company, just a satisfied customer.

I have a diamond rod sharpener made by Eze-Lap, which I use for my cheaper knives, the better ones are sharpened on a steel or with a japanese waterstone.

Cheers,

Gordon

I got one of these recently http://www.heinnie.com/Lansky-Turn-Box-2-Rod/p-0-0-570/

Very pleased with it too. It's sharpen my sheath knife, numerous pen knives and kitchen knives a treat. Easy to use and Heinnie are a superb company. Don't bother with super fast delivery though as their standard delivery has always got to me next day.

Hi Jules ,
As a former Chef and lecturer you give too little info - you say you want a whetstone, but for what? why? If it is to set an edge on a blunt knife, how do you intend to set the angle?
Does the knife blunt quickly becaues it has the wrong handle for you and twists?
Lose the beard is right about a steel keeping a knife sharp, but I'd challenge him to sharpen on a steel a knife that the average homeperson calls blunt!!!!
NB A "razor" type edge would be useless in the kitchen, so I'm curious as to why your first sentence?
love'n'joy

A kitchen knife just doesn't need to be "razor" sharp and a steel will only get you so far, 1k' ish stone or diamond plate should suffice.

Tony's spot on a 1000 stone is more than good enough, after all if you are using the knife pretty regular, well you are going to be touching it up pretty regular, you dont need your kitchen knife as sharp as a Sushi Chefs knife, I think a lot of people get confused by the level of sharpness required for a kitchen knife or pocket knife, the word Utility springs to mind, anything sharper than that and your edge will deteriorate to quickly and be of little use, PS also if your knives are in fairly good order then Sean's sharpener from Heinnie's is a super little sharpener easy to use, I touch up all my knives with that model, but as i said as long as they are in fairly good order to start with.

Jamie.

lloydedwards said:
Hi Jules ,
As a former Chef and lecturer you give too little info - you say you want a whetstone, but for what? why? If it is to set an edge on a blunt knife, how do you intend to set the angle?
Does the knife blunt quickly becaues it has the wrong handle for you and twists?
Lose the beard is right about a steel keeping a knife sharp, but I'd challenge him to sharpen on a steel a knife that the average homeperson calls blunt!!!!
NB A "razor" type edge would be useless in the kitchen, so I'm curious as to why your first sentence?
love'n'joy

Lloyd
Please try and be less dogmatic with your replies around here, adding love'n'joy as your tagline doesn't negate the patronising tone you have in many of your posts.

Hmmmm. Interesting, I seem to have stirred up a right hornets nest!

Background - I have a set of Sabatier Knives which I have had for the past 14 years. I keep them sharp before each use with a steel: However I recently added a 'proper' carving knife (also a Sabatier) to the range and got a Victorinox Santoku for Xmas and both of them blow the socks off my other knives in terms of sharpness.

I went down the steel route, but didn't get anywhere near the level of sharpness of the carving knife or Santuko.

Did some research and found some videos on youtube of how to use whetsones and Japanese waterstones. Tried my 2.99 special (That I originally bought for my wood chisels) and was quite impressed with the results, but I don't know what the grit levels on the whetstone are and I'd rather have a dedicated stone for my kitchen knives.

I'm not looking for razor sharp, just a damn sight sharper than they are. (A sharp knife is a safe knife, after all)

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. really like the look of the Heinnie - I may go down that route.

Julese34 said:
Hmmmm. Interesting, I seem to have stirred up a right hornets nest!

Background - I have a set of Sabatier Knives which I have had for the past 14 years. I keep them sharp before each use with a steel: However I recently added a 'proper' carving knife (also a Sabatier) to the range and got a Victorinox Santoku for Xmas and both of them blow the socks off my other knives in terms of sharpness.

I went down the steel route, but didn't get anywhere near the level of sharpness of the carving knife or Santuko.

Did some research and found some videos on youtube of how to use whetsones and Japanese waterstones. Tried my 2.99 special (That I originally bought for my wood chisels) and was quite impressed with the results, but I don't know what the grit levels on the whetstone are and I'd rather have a dedicated stone for my kitchen knives.

I'm not looking for razor sharp, just a damn sight sharper than they are. (A sharp knife is a safe knife, after all)

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. really like the look of the Heinnie - I may go down that route.

I must say the one I got from Heinnie is very good. What you have to bear in mind is I am a complete knife sharpening novice. I have always stayed well clear until now.

My sheath knife was roughly handled by some parent helpers on a Cub camp last year. They actually put dinks in the blade. With the sharpener I mentioned I managed to get the dinks out and return the edge. Believe me that is some achievement.

Boab (& all),
I don't mean to be dogmatic (referring to acceptable opinions) but accurate. If, in my time I've come across lots of confusion, talking at cross-purposes and misplaced assumptions, I think it best for me to understand what is wanted. Especially in the realm of food and drink in this country, where everything means only what it was called where you grew up. Marketing guff only makes it worse. A result of us cooks having masters, and no rights to patent or copyright.

"Patronising" - 'Treat with an apparent kindness that betrays a feeling of superiority.' - I think I know what you mean, but I mean no disrespect (save when I obviously think someone is trolling). Maybe my grammar struggles to convey that I do think I know more - that is why I've replied to try to help, as others in TSR have helped me. I'm sure glad no-one who knows less than me has tried to tell me what to do!!! Some of the "I THINK ..." replies in other threads ARE patronising in the worst sense.
At least I didn't ask Jules if he used a glass "chopping board" I've seen in shops - that WOULD have been patronising!!
Would it be OTT to mention micro-serrations deliberately left on some Cooks blades being better than "sharper" for many tasks, or the totally foreign technique needed to use a santuko for common European cuisine? Santuko/Cooks knife compare to hammer/screwdriver in my (and my mentors) opinion. In Kendalls the other day I saw some very expensive knives with appalling handles. I enquired and was told it was to make them easier to clean in a dishwasher. WTF. Really difficult to use safely as a knife - but easier to dull with harsh dishwasher detergent. Should be illegal - but they sell! I wouldn't know if Jules had fallen for that hype had I not asked.

love'n'joy (been my "tag" for 20+ years)
Lloyd

Back
Top Bottom