Keen cooks...

Nice looking set Tony, I have always been the better cook in my household, and have always tried to buy the best when it comes to hardware for the kitchen, including knives and pots & pans, my old set as started to look a little rough around the edges I have a proffessional set of Stellar hard anodized, but noticed with the tokens they give away in Tesco's you can get a very good quality proffessional set by the Thomas Rosenthal group, you get something like 70% off I have already replaced two pan's really pleased with them. super quality.

Jamie.

Yellow Jim said:
Have you used them yourself Tony?

What's the best way of seasoning them?

Yes, I have had a couple of sizes for a number of years ('94) but they were already second hand when I was given them so already very well seasoned. They should out last you and be forever non stick as long as you maintain them properly. Like a good wok the blacker the better just wipe with a cloth & water, oil, occasionally clean with salt. To season or repair seasoning just part fill with nut oil and heat for 5 mins or so til smoking, repeat as necessary.

Wife complained about the weight of them so I always tried to buy good quality non stick which are lighter and therefore easier to handle. After a couple of years they have again been binned after coating(s) degraded and Spanish omlette stuck so I just bought some thinner gauge lighter blue steel De Buyer pans which is how I came across the offer mentioned in the OP.

Jamie, I've finally given up on non stick and I won't be tempted back no matter what the claim or discount. I don't want to worry about munching Teflon, using excessive heat or the wrong implement and damaging the coating so every thing is now stainless or seasoned iron.

Came across this too which covers most of it, the frying egg demo isn't too convincing but that pan isn't seasoned properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQwCiYPW1Fg

I've a carbon steel wok which is very well seasoned and it works a treat, although my wife occasionally sees fit to ruin the seasoning that's built up by washing it with soap. I've a couple of cast iron griddles, but apart from that it's always been non-stick or stainless for me.

How do you clean them with salt? I've not heard of that before.

Excellent video, and super looking pan, lessons to take on board just like a good wok never ever wash it just good old hot water and a coating of oil, the older and blacker the build up of carbon the better it becomes, my very best steak cooking pan a cast iron griddle pand is years old it really as such a build up of carbon it's a pleasure to cook a steak in that pan.

Jamie.

I always thought the salt can be used as a natural abrasive if you want to remove or absorb any build up of unwanted gunk from the pan.

Just a note, you can strip the seasoning off with acid like toms, lemon or wine untill it's properly seasoned (after a couple of years)

Back
Top Bottom