Iphone 5s Vodafone Mobile Data Con?

There's an all called onavo count which gives a great break down of what app uses what. That's on top of the break down you get in the settings menu. Perhaps reset the stats on it before going to sleep and checking to see if an app has used it in the background in the morning.

rum said:
I think you need to start isolating each and every app one by one and try to narrow down what it could be.

Do you know if applications like facebook and Twitter are on there? These things poll the network almost continuously for notifications, alerts and so on. They could very easily be burning this amount of data in one go.

I've more or less done what you said and switched off anything not needed, Facebook and Twitter aren't in the equation either.
I'm looking at instagram but again, if its connected to a Wifi signal why the switch over? :huh:

Dobbo25 said:
I've more or less done what you said and switched off anything not needed, Facebook and Twitter aren't in the equation either.
I'm looking at instagram but again, if its connected to a Wifi signal why the switch over? :huh:

I'm assuming the switchover is due to Apple or your router and router software. Not really much you can do about that. Maybe try to upgrade your router's firmware if not already done so?

But you can "cut it off" (the data!) at the supply! If instagram is burning data at that rate every evening, then maybe disable data use for that app. I'm sure that's possible on an iOS device.

mattyb240 said:
There's an all called onavo count which gives a great break down of what app uses what. That's on top of the break down you get in the settings menu. Perhaps reset the stats on it before going to sleep and checking to see if an app has used it in the background in the morning.

I know if she updates instagram outside on the mobile network its roughly about 16Mb depending how many updates she has.
I'll put the onavo on and give it a try to see if I can find out whats going on and why its switching over to the mobile network when connected to Wifi.
I've even asked my broadband provider to see if anything is causing any drop outs. I've checked my internet security network software to see if the wifi has dropped out, or if there have been any attacks on it, nothing.

rum said:
Dobbo25 said:

I'm assuming the switchover is due to Apple or your router and router software. Not really much you can do about that. Maybe try to upgrade your router's firmware if not already done so?

But you can "cut it off" (the data!) at the supply! If instagram is burning data at that rate every evening, then maybe disable data use for that app. I'm sure that's possible on an iOS device.

I know what you mean, Apple is out of the equation as I switched of the iTunes app for mobile data. The router isn't that old but I'll run some more checks and see if can see whats happening.
Instagram isn't that bad as most of the time its used at home.

As for telling a teenager to switch off a couple of apps every evening? :icon_lol:

mattyb240 said:
Have you looked through the celluar usage page to see what has been using so much? You can reset statistics as well to make sure it's accurate.

I have yes, nothing apart from what I know of but I'll reset the stats as well.

Update.
The apps where Snapchat, Instagram and Itunes ,problem is, its still happening.

I've changed the phone and done everything requested like switching off mobile data updates etc. I've changed the WiFi channel every evening I'm now removing the sim at a designated time before midnight. Guess what ? I noticed mobile data download at 6:00 am, no sim card was in the phone at the time so how did the network download mobile data?
Anyway, that will be mentioned in my next call. At least they have given me 3 months unlimited for now and refunded the charges for going over the 750mb limit.

Everything is at it should be and up to date. I even had the Vodafone Tech using remote technical support on the phone to check all the settings, just to make sure I was telling the truth. :)

I had a similar problem with an old Sony W995 on Three, it was connected to the wi fi network but for some apps simply wouldn't use wifi but reverted to using mobile data, some exhaustive research online, after many frustrating calls with Three tech support revealed that this was down the firmware load that Three specified for the phone. I'm wondering if the IpHone in quation came from Vodafone, either online or through one of their shops and is locked to Vodafone, if so this could be the issue.

Charliej said:
I had a similar problem with an old Sony W995 on Three, it was connected to the wi fi network but for some apps simply wouldn't use wifi but reverted to using mobile data, some exhaustive research online, after many frustrating calls with Three tech support revealed that this was down the firmware load that Three specified for the phone. I'm wondering if the IpHone in quation came from Vodafone, either online or through one of their shops and is locked to Vodafone, if so this could be the issue.

I bought the Phone from the Apple store and had a replacement from them as well. Unfortunately my daughter already was on Vodafone so it just made it easier to carry on with them.

I'm still gathering some unauthorised data usage before my next phone call :)

Back
Top Bottom