I have mange....

Well I understand its known as honers mange, I've been working on my honing this weekend and now my left arm and left leg have large hairless areas where I've been testing the edges as I go along. Only realized how daft I looked when I got out of the shower earlier.

I'm not a straight shaver, but a custom knife collector, and after my Lansky knife sharpener as been out and a few of my user knives have been honed, then that's exactly what my left arm looks like :lol:

Jamie.

Heh heh - I was just having to explain the bald patches on my arm and the back of my hand to my daughter two weeks ago... :lol:

As a cyclist I'm tempted to shave the legs to even out the 'look' but then I'm faced with what to do if I want to hone another razor.... :lol:

I've had this embarrassing condition for about 30 years - occupational hazard. Strangely enough I almost never test razors in this way though.

What I was told by a presumably long dead old timer is that if a chisel or whatever won't shave your arm, it's blunt. If it will, then it isn't, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's sharp enough. The thumb pad gives me a more nuanced idea of how the edge is doing.

Arrowhead said:
I've had this embarrassing condition for about 30 years - occupational hazard. Strangely enough I almost never test razors in this way though.

What I was told by a presumably long dead old timer is that if a chisel or whatever won't shave your arm, it's blunt. If it will, then it isn't, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's sharp enough. The thumb pad gives me a more nuanced idea of how the edge is doing.
I'm using both but the hair gives me a visual statement which I'm using to identify the right feel.

My wife is allergic to nickel. I tried to talk her into holding one of my razors, which I suspect to have nickel plating, only to be told the pharmacy sells a nickel test...

But the mental image of using the wife to "test" the edge of a straight sure beats my "testing" attempt :cool: :D

/Max

Jeltz said:
As a cyclist I'm tempted to shave the legs to even out the 'look' but then I'm faced with what to do if I want to hone another razor.... :lol:
A straight razor shaving cyclist - let me guess, tubular tyres and non-index gears? OK that's me :)

Back
Top Bottom