How to disconcert a Scottish shopkeeper

ye I'm with you Pixie makes no odds to me what the note looks like.Thinking about it in real terms I rarely use cash nowadays.The majority of my purchases are online and when I am being old fashioned and actually visiting a shop I tend to use my debit card.Even the bar at the golf club has a discounted members card where you can top up the funds electronically from a chip and pin machine.The only problem I had with the Euro was that speaking to people who's countries adopted it they all complained to be worse off than before, I think this may be changing with the strength of it atm,I need to ask that question again and compare.

Same here Boab, I only carry cash for pub and canteen in work. Everything else is either online or Chip & PIN debit card. If I could get a microchip that let me pay for everything with a thumbprint I'd do it.

There's often a specious argument that using the Euro will remove the Queen from the money. She'd still be on the coins (traditional since 1650ish - starting with Cromwell apparently, although likenesses did appear before that on some coins), the likeness of the monarch on paper money is a recent thing in the UK - the introduction of the Bank of England Series C notes in 1960/61 in fact - yet it gets played out as being some long-standing tradition. (Must make my razor uber-traditional as it comes from 1955 :lol:) Mind you neither the image of her on the coins nor the notes looks anything like the octogenarian she is...

Me - my wallet has Euro, US Dollars, Swedish Kronor & Sterling in it (6 note types: BoE, BoS, RBS, CB, BoI, UB) - whilst I do like the annoyance factor of using non-BoE notes in England, I'd welcome the rationalisation in my wallet (the Euro got rid of 4 other currencies I used to habitually have to hand).

I'd never switch to totally cashless - way too easy to overspend (maybe that's why I have no debt beyond my mortgage?)

Back
Top Bottom