Closed How generous can one Straight guy be ?

A question I need answered is .... am I brave enough and capable of, in my not quite twilight years, to attempt a shave using a straight ?.
The answer to this is simple, yes I am, but I will only do it with a piece of equipment that is guaranteed to be in the perfect condition, to achieve the safest possible first shave, taking into account a learning curve that may involve just shaving the easy bits at first and slowly expanding the area covered.

Now comes the request, the lending pool thread that offered access to a straight of good quality and sharpness has now expired and as such is no longer stickied.

So is anyone in the straight razor fraternity prepared to let me have the use of a decent razor, in a shave ready state, to experiment with ?, in the hope that I may be converted to the darkside, if only on an occasional basis.

I am more than happy to pay the postage both ways and would be adding a tub of OSP soap in the flavour of your choice on return, which could be anything up to a month.

Stacy555

Do you have a strop?
I have nothing as a complete straight virgin, so advice will be gratefully accepted from any direction, Strop needed, that will be sorted.
There is a Kamisori here:
http://theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/passaround-sam-seong-kamisori.34349/
Maybe worth a go?
I also have a Disposable blade straight that I could maybe offer up if that is of interest?
Did look at this, but decided to go down this route as I has become slightly obsessed (only slightly) with the need to try a full straight.

I hold the TSR Thomas Turner - it's big, unapologetic Sheffield wedge. Fancy a go, let me know ...
Will see what RSSO has in store for me, if I manage ok it may be worth a second go on that before I consider making a purchase, lets see how things go for stage 1, cheers Paul.

I hold the TSR Thomas Turner - it's big, unapologetic Sheffield wedge. Fancy a go, let me know ...
The wedge wouldn't be my recommendation as a first straight to try. Or as a second one. I should know ;)
Your being mischievous again, Paul. Like when you sent me those carbon Feather blades. :eek:

I never got on with a wedge. I much preferred the full and extra hollow grinds for my coarse stubble.

I have got a feather RG folding and some blades if you want to try a straight experience without the worry of stropping.

I sold all of my straights in favour of this type of razor.

Many thanks for all the offers guy's, I don't want to over complicate things, so I think I'll stick with RSSO and his kind offer first and see what happens when that arrives, I want to give anything I try a good run before turning to another option.

I did pick up a straight from the bay a couple of weeks ago, but whether or not I ever get it to a shave ready condition is dubious at best,so my fascination has brought me to make this thread, if I find this is doable on a shaving and maintainable level, then I will be looking for something pretty and functional to add to my growing DE collection, if it all ends in tears, then It would be nice to try something with a replaceable blade.

Hope this makes sense, cheers for the interest.

I never got on with a wedge. I much preferred the full and extra hollow grinds for my coarse stubble.

I have got a feather RG folding and some blades if you want to try a straight experience without the worry of stropping.

I sold all of my straights in favour of this type of razor.
If you are feeling a boot of post Christmas generosity I would be very interested in trying this out[emoji4]

Back
Top Bottom