Honing help

Hi just wanted some advice I have a razor which when honing has a sharp edge at the heel and toe but not in the middle of the blade.

I have used the double layer tape trick and have honed the razor for over 4 hours in total (just bevel setting) but no luck. I have also removed all tape thinking any uneven shoulder wear would be rectified. This did help slightly but the middle of the blade is still not sharp enough to cut hairs.

Do I need to address my hones (lapping) or is this more to do with the razor? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

If your edge is straight without any uneven ware to the middle of the razor and I don't mean a slight smile that's quite acceptable, then a bevel set with a positive result should take you no longer than 5 minutes, what does the middle section look like under magnification after you have set the bevel compared to the toe and heel section?

Re: RE: Honing help

pugh-the-special-one said:
If your edge is straight without any uneven ware to the middle of the razor and I don't mean a slight smile that's quite acceptable, then a bevel set with a positive result should take you no longer than 5 minutes, what does the middle section look like under magnification after you have set the bevel compared to the toe and heel section?
Sorry for the lack of pictures. Edge looks straight and has a slight smile. Heel and toe have a wide bevel and the Middle doesn't on one side of the blade. On the other the bevel is more even across the blade with a wider bevel at the heel. Under magnification a bevel does exist across the blade on both sides with the scratch marks all in alignment.

I just read your post and my first port of call would be to give your stones a really good lapping mark out a pencil grid and take them back a bit more than you would usually, then I would use a permanent marker then mark both sides of the razors edge with the marker pen now use no tape now do 10 laps both sides with a fare amount of pressure and see if the lapping as helped correct the uneven bevel hopefully it may, If the bevel hasn't improved and you can say your stones are completely flat then you can start to point your finger at blade geometry and then you will have to play around with tape and technique to get the best edge you can.

Thankyou for the advice, I lapped and marked the blade edge. Removed the tape and honed on naniwa 1.2k ten times either side. The shoulder of the razor (Le Grelot) has more hone wear at the toe and heel it has slightly sharpened the middle part as well.

Seems like you have a deformed blade that is not hitting the stone on one side. There is a way round this by using a rolling honing motion and a combination of tape but if you have spent that amount of time already, this might be one that you chalk down to experience.

Obviously check the usual problems such as catching the heel and thereby lifting the edge, but if it's not obvious, then use it as experience.

Back
Top Bottom