High Altitude Mountain Climbing

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
LeJog 2022 Finisher
I enjoy watching high-altitude climbing videos and this Everest doc is one of the best I have seen. It's feature-length but well worth a watch if you have time. It's incredible how much time and effort is needed to take on an expedition like this.

I also subscribe to this guy who has some great high altitude vids, he is an expedition leader from the UK, and although his videos are purely documenting the climb rather than including the prep and behind-the-scenes stuff like the previous link, I enjoy the production quality and amazing views.

Love the mountains, can't do it any more
A couple of my mates had a crack at Mont Blanc a few years ago. They got to within an hour or so of the summit when the guide insisted they abandon it and turn back. They did as advised, but another group pushed on with a different guide. They were found dead of hypothermia the next day. So glad my buddies put caution first. At least one of them is a nutcase who has nearly died 10x already so I'm still thankful they listened. They were gutted to turn back until they heard about the others.

Mt Blanc is a serious mountain people don’t take seriously, we had two aborted trips before a successful third and on both occasions there were people who had to be dragged off by guides to avoid disaster

IMO anything above about 3.5k in the Alps is serious. Mt Blanc (depending on the route of course) is essentially a hike, meaning no climbing required, but the mountains in those heights are unforgiving. Things can drastically change in a short amount of time... and there is (often) no escape.

Back
Top Bottom