Hello

Hello all, I'm new around here and ended up here in my research. I'm in my early thirties, and have never gotten on with shaving having tried most forms through the last decade. I seem to have very sensitive skin, mostly on my neck, and can't seem to shave without irritation for days afterwards. In the past I have tried disposable razors, DE, and electric, paired with any combination of products you can buy at Tesco/Boots.

Recently I've started a job where I have to be clean shaven as I occasionally have to wear a high spec mask to work near asbestos. I decided to do a bit of research before I jumped in, and ended up trying a Feather Artist Club SS with the SoftGuard and then ProGuard blades. Pairing this with proper pre-shaves, shaving creams and brush, and post shave balms has produced my best results so far, but still irritates my face a bit and I can only shave WTG. I do struggle with the style of razor, mainly due to my left hand being quite uncoordinated, so I've moved to a SE ESC Claymore Evolution which I've yet to properly try. I'm hoping that this will produce good results for me, and in time my neck will become more accustomed to the process.

Anyway, glad to join you all here and happy to have found such a wealth of information!

Welcome....
Any change in shaving style/technique will often give you some irritation, however after a few weeks it settles down. Just go with the grain (WTG) for now....
When you get chance to let it grow a bit, do a growth map, you may be surprised to find that you might be going ATG when you actually think you are going XTG.
I found that after about 2 months of just doing WTG I could start to do XTG but even now if I try ATG on my neck I often end up with irritation especially just under the Chin.

Anyway.... enjoy, and keep trying different blades too, it could actually make all the difference.

Thanks for the tag Chris,

Welcome to @LukeC, I think if you start up a thread about your issues with shaving then I imagine a some might be able to provide a few pointers in how to address your needs.

From the sounds of things, I'm assuming you have issues with ingrowns and irritation on your neck from shaving against the grain? Some people have growth that goes in different directions and growth mapping can be a good way to avoid accidentally shaving against the grain.

Hi there @LukeC , nice intro
And
welcome dracula GIF

Thanks for the tag Chris,

Welcome to @LukeC, I think if you start up a thread about your issues with shaving then I imagine a some might be able to provide a few pointers in how to address your needs.

From the sounds of things, I'm assuming you have issues with ingrowns and irritation on your neck from shaving against the grain? Some people have growth that goes in different directions and growth mapping can be a good way to avoid accidentally shaving against the grain.
Thanks Donnie,
I sometimes get irritation even just going with the grain, as well as ingrown hairs. Going against the grain turns into a full on bloodbath for me on the rare occasion I've tried it! I have a decent map of my growth directions as I maintained a short stubble beard (not sure if there's a proper term, but about 1.5mm) for years as my face seemed to get on best with that. The top half of my face is pretty uniformly in a downward grain, but my neck grows in an upward diagonal grain which is a bit tricky.

I think my plan at the moment is to try and quit changing so many variables, stick with one approach for a few weeks and see how I get on. If I'm still struggling then, I may have to start a thread asking for tips.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Thanks Donnie,
I sometimes get irritation even just going with the grain, as well as ingrown hairs. Going against the grain turns into a full on bloodbath for me on the rare occasion I've tried it! I have a decent map of my growth directions as I maintained a short stubble beard (not sure if there's a proper term, but about 1.5mm) for years as my face seemed to get on best with that. The top half of my face is pretty uniformly in a downward grain, but my neck grows in an upward diagonal grain which is a bit tricky.

I think my plan at the moment is to try and quit changing so many variables, stick with one approach for a few weeks and see how I get on. If I'm still struggling then, I may have to start a thread asking for tips.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

That sounds like a plan and I hope you enjoy your time here.

Indeed. I reckon keep it simple, remember that what works for someone else may not work for you, try to get one regime nailed and enjoy the ride, the banter and the photos. Don't take any advice from me, I could shave ATG with a ripped beer can and not get irritation.

Back
Top Bottom