Hello from across the pond!

David Huffman here from East Central Illinois. About 100 miles south of Chicago in the town of St. Joseph.
I used to be a blacksmith & made knives as a sideline but carpal tunnel made me give that up.
I have always been in to knife sharpening & remembered my great uncle Harvey always shaved with a straight razor. I had got into knife sharpening pretty heavy & picked up a couple of straights at a flea market. Three years later I have about 75 straights hones strops & all the other things to work on straight razors.
I am active at SRP & learned a lot over there. I am related to the Mappin family here in the states & am trying to see if I am related to the razor makers.
Let's talk straight's!
Dave

Thanks for the welcome. I have to say my favorite razor is a W&B 7/8" hollow ground with barber notch. It is pre 1881 As it just has Sheffield & no England on it. It is the smoothest razor I own & is #1 in my rotation.
I buy most of my razors at flea markets & live auctions & antique stores. Don't own a new razor & I don't feel the need. I hope to get a forge set up to start forging razors & pattern welded blanks. Wish I had not sold all my blacksmith equipment as I have to start over now!
Once again, Thank you for the welcome, I hope to learn a lot here also.
Dave Huffman

Back
Top Bottom