Have a Jagger DE89 looking to try something different

Hi,
I have been DE shaving for a few months now. I feel my technique is 'good enough' but still improving. Regular nicks, cuts and weepers are a thing of the past except for the occasional one now and again. I get a BBS face after 3 1/2 passes most days (with the 1/2 being the same few areas i need to re do).
I love the Jagger razor I have, it looks good and seems to suit my shaving style to a tee...

BUT...

SAD is kicking in so i was wondering what would be a reasonably priced (under £40 or so) razor from the opposite end of the shaving spectrum or, and this would be my preferred option) something adjustable so i can have a play.

Modern adjustable seem to have gone out of vogue with the only ones i can find being quite expensive from merkur. Yes I could go vintage but if I do that i'd want to go birth year (Quarter 1 - 1969 - Gillette code O1 ) and they don't seem to crop up that often in good usable condition, or for a reasonable price. They are usually from the states with monster postage.

So a 2 part question... are there any other reasonably priced new adjustables about and what other non adjustable razor would give me a different (not necessarily better or worse) shaving experience to my DE89?

So are Merkur are the only manufacturers still doing adjustable razors? If so i guess it's Hobsons choice then. Thanks for the quick replies guys.

julian2002 said:
So are Merkur are the only manufacturers still doing adjustable razors? If so i guess it's Hobsons choice then. Thanks for the quick replies guys.

As far as i know yes they are...

As for the going vintage route i wouldn't be to concerned about trying to get a birth year one just yet as you'll be missing out on trying the slim or the fatboy which are 2 very good adjustables...

Dave.B said:
julian2002 said:

As far as i know yes they are...

As for the going vintage route i wouldn't be to concerned about trying to get a birth year one just yet as you'll be missing out on trying the slim or the fatboy which are 2 very good adjustables...

Absolutely - you could always search for a birth year razor at a later date. I've never tried a Fatboy, but my Slim is one of my favourite razors, and quite different to the EJ. I prefer to perform the first pass on a high setting, then dial-down a notch or two for XTG passes. Any touch-ups are usually on 4. Others do things differently; some "set and forget", using the adjustment purely to find the level of aggression that works best for them and then treating it like a fixed-head design. Others perform their first pass on a low setting and then dial-up to a higher setting for subsequent passes. That's the joy or vintage Gillette adjustable razors - they're very flexible in how you use the adjustment. As for buying one, PM Max "Frenchblade" and Steve "sunburyboy" here first before you resort to ebay - one or other of them can probably set you up with a decent example. If not, post a WTB on our BST section.

Or, for not a lot of cash, and a *totally* different shave, get a Gillette NEW (or similar). I picked up a Gillette Goodwill (from about 1931 I think) for less than a tenner delivered and it's a totally different beastie. Not something I use everyday, but very efficient if I have more than a days growth.

It's not an adjustable, but with it at the aggressive end, and your EJ at the other, you should have plenty of scope for variation!

I would have to side with those who are suggesting an adjustable as your next razor. If you have no aversions to preowned razors, I'd say check this site for anyone selling a Merkur progress or Futur . If you don't like it you can alway resell.

If you really want to move to the other end of the spectrum dare I suggest a single edge razor or even an injector. Some of us on here who had used DEs and/or straights for years now find that an SE has become the go to of choice (me anyway). You should be able to pick up a shave quality one for £10/ £15 and who knows, it may just be the eye opener (& chin smoother) for you which my 1st one was for me.

If you'd rather stick with DE then I'd agree with the earlier whisper above and quietly mutter, "Come to the dark side & try a slant ".

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

julian2002 said:
Hi,
I have been DE shaving for a few months now. I feel my technique is 'good enough' but still improving. Regular nicks, cuts and weepers are a thing of the past except for the occasional one now and again. I get a BBS face after 3 1/2 passes most days (with the 1/2 being the same few areas i need to re do).
I love the Jagger razor I have, it looks good and seems to suit my shaving style to a tee...

BUT...

are there any other reasonably priced new adjustables about and what other non adjustable razor would give me a different (not necessarily better or worse) shaving experience to my DE89?

Hi there,

You're at a good time to start sampling new razors. Good technique (and I'm guessing having found a decent blade) is gonna help you to judge em accurately. You need the right razor to help judge blades correctly.

I've never used a current production adjustable, but I'n very familiar with the Gillettes. Try both the fatboy and slim, since they offer different shaves.

Certainly any open comb razor will shave differently than the EJ DE89 head (if that's what you have). The OC will have more bite and will shave closer. You will probably have to pay more attention to detail with these types. The Gillette NEW head (long tooth is little milder than short), is one of the most popular vintage ones.

If it was me, I'd hold off on any SE razor for now. Seems like you wanna continue to refine your technique with the same type of razor you started with. Changing that big a variable this early on might screw up your DE journey at this point in time. Injectors are very good, and lots of members like the other SE razors like a Gem. Something to think about down the road.

Maybe sign up for the fatboy and slant pass around.

Things will get even easier from here on out,

Martin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IDEAL-ADJUSTABLE-DOUBLE-EDGE-SAFETY-RAZOR-7-BLADES-GILLETTE-VOSKHOD-RAPIRA-ETC-/200804672582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec0e42446
This wont break the bank if you fancy an adjustable.I've not seen many of these and a lot cheaper than a Progress.

Back
Top Bottom