Hard water...

I'm very much enjoying using my TOBS cream, but am thinking of exploring the world of soaps.
My one worry however is that I'm in a particularly hard water area; is this likely to pose an issue, or will I just need to work harder for a good lather?

Near enough the whole of the east of England has super hard water. I personally believe synthetic brushes help tremendously with soaps when water is that hard.

As Darren said, synthetic brushes make it somewhat easier, as do stiffer 2-band badger types. All hard water means is that you have to load the brush more heavily than someone in a soft water area would need to.

We've got crazy-hard water in East Anglia. I have to descale our kettle at least once a month.
We've also had to replace our combi-boiler every 3 years since the pumps die from limescale.

I don't have any problem with creams, but some soaps I need to use distilled water.

Mr_Smartepants said:
We've got crazy-hard water in East Anglia. I have to descale our kettle at least once a month.
We've also had to replace our combi-boiler every 3 years since the pumps die from limescale.

I don't have any problem with creams, but some soaps I need to use distilled water.
Replacing your boiler every three years!!! Surely it would pay to insert a water softener at the main.

I have lovely soft water, but even I have filtration system fitted to my Valiant combi boiler the gas engineer empties it every year it only costs around £200 including fitting the filter well worth the hassle and you never have to buy replacement filters, looks like this one. http://www.plumb-bay.com/fernox-tf1-filter

After confirming with SWMBO, we replaced our Valiant boiler a year after we bought the house (who knows how long it had been there) with a Baxi boiler (which died after 5 years). Our current boiler (Ideal Eco) which has been running for about 3 years. This time however, the plumber fitted some magneto-thing-me-bob to the water main as well as a filter thingy.

As Chris has said the solution to using soaps in hard water area is simply to use more product.

Some soaps just lather very easily, like Tabac and our very own Fox's soap (when it goes on sale). Other soaps just don't lather, like a lot of artisan soaps (which are just really face soaps) and I never got any joy from Trumper's Eucris.

Back
Top Bottom